Author Topic: Two day Mozzarella  (Read 29124 times)

MrsKK

Two day Mozzarella
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
I've cobbled this recipe together from other recipes, mostly based on Fankhauser's method. It turns out nicely for me every time and has much more flavor than the citric acid method.

5 gallons skimmed milk
2 cups yogurt or 1/2 teaspoon powdered thermophilic culture
1/8 teaspoon powdered calf rennet (or as recommended on your rennet package) I've also used 4 Junket rennet tablets
1/2 cup canning salt

Warm milk to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk yogurt until thin, then stir well into warmed milk. If using powdered culture, whisk into about a cup of warmed milk, then stir into the kettle of milk. Allow to ripen for 1 hour, maintaining 90* temp.

Dissolve rennet in 1/4 cup cool water (tap water if non-chlorinated, otherwise, use distilled water). Gently stir into milk, stirring for no more than 20-30 seconds. Allow to set, maintaining temperature, until clean break achieved. Usually 30-60 minutes.

Cut curd into 1/2 inch pieces, gently stir up larger pieces from the bottom and cut. Allow to set 15 minutes to allow curds to heal.

Without stirring, remove whey to level of curds (reserve whey in clean container). Add a gallon of cold water to rinse, then drain in cloth-lined colander, covering with a clean cloth or lid.

Allow to sit at room temperature (65 to 75 degrees) overnight to ripen the curd and bring it to proper stretching acidity. 

Use Fankhauser's method for testing for proper level of acidity (taken directly from his website).

"Checking for proper acidity using the "spinning" technique:
a) Heat 2 c water to 85°C. (185 F)
b) Drop several chunks of curd in, stir gently with a fork.
c) Test for acidity by pulling and folding the hot curd. If it softens and draws into strings ("spins"), and appears glossy on the surface, it is ready. If it breaks when you pull it, let sit several more hours until it does."

Once the curd spins, heat one gallon of reserved whey plus 1 cup kosher salt (or 1/2 cup canning salt) to 175 - 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut cheese curd into chunks about 1 inch square (doesn't have to be exact). I use a fryer basket to contain my curd chunks, placing about 1-2 cups of chunks in the basket and submerge it in the whey. After about 30 seconds, remove a chunk of cheese and start pulling on it. The center may still be cool, so if it breaks, just mush it back together, then put it back in the whey and allow it to warm a bit longer. The curd should be hot, so you will probably want to wear a couple pairs of latex exam gloves to protect your hands.

When the chunks are warm enough to hold together, I knead them all into a soft-ball sized mass and start pulling the curd, like pulling taffy, stretching and folding. If it gets cool enough to break, I put it back in the whey to heat up again.

Continue with the process until the cheese becomes smooth and glossy. Some blisters may form on the surface as well. Then put into a bowl of cold water to set up the cheese and go on to the next batch of curd, until it is all stretched and has been cooled in the water bath.

Remove from the water and allow to air dry for a few minutes. You can blot any remaining water with a paper towel. Store airtight in the fridge for up to a week. This cheese grates and freezes well, too.

Minamyna

Re: Two day Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »
You heat them in hot salty whey before you stretch it? I have been heating mine in hot water.......  Then resting them in cold brine.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »
Karen this is almost identical to the way I make my Bocconcini! You go girl!

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »
Yep, I use hot salty whey to heat up the curd for stretching.  It gets the salt into the cheese where I want it.  When I tried soaking the cheese in brine, it always got slimey, which really turned me off, so I came up with this solution.

The other nice thing about it is that you can make riccota directly from this whey and don't need to add any salt to that, as it is just the right amount straight out of the pot.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 03:21:32 AM »
I'm with Karen on the whey brine and the salt addition. Interesting that our processes are so close. Just made Bocconcini, string cheese and Scamorza Affumicata last night/this morning for a family party tomorrow. I don't think we have to much difference except that I used TA-61, I warm the milk to 104F degrees and I stretch at 170F degrees. The reason I stretch at a slightly lower temperature is that I find it makes for a some what softer cheese.

Minamyna

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:06:47 AM »
Hmm well I got mine to the curd stage tonight (3 gallons of milk!!) and the curds seem softer and less squeaky and cleaner this time soooooo... I have hope for tomorrow!

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »
Let us know how it turns out for you, Minamyna.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »
good luck Minamyna, I'm sue it'll turn out fine!

Minamyna

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »
Much better flavor, it got a little sour so I think I over did the ripening. I don't think I added enough salt to the whey mix, because they tasted great right after I made them, but a day later the fridge they were not salty enough. I was bummed because I had given them out and that had been mentioned to me they tasted "wrong." (They couldn't it was a salt problem, but as soon as I tasted it I knew).

If you put the salt in the whey, do you not soak them in water after? Or do you soak them in brine then in water?

Thanks!

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »
I just soak mine in cold water long enough to firm up the cheese balls, then remove them.  I store them dry.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 01:29:43 AM »
I thought I took a picture of them after smoking but I can not find it, The kids like the strings of cheese and the adults seem to prefer the balls.

Minamyna

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
Well I have narrowed it down to the mozz seems to get rubbery/ squeaky when I add the hot whey to stretch. I try to handle it as little as possible with the gloves, but although the curds get really stringy, they don't really stick to each other like they do in the youtube videos.

I try really hard not to over handle it, but it seem like I manage to everytime.....

Any advice?

caciocavallo

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:40:44 AM »
Nice work Deejay!

Cacio

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:27 AM »
Thanks you Cacio. I think it took much longer to make all these little balls than it did for everyone to eat them!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 04:18:28 AM »
How are you smoking Mozz?