Author Topic: Two day Mozzarella  (Read 29088 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Two day Mozzarella
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 04:30:32 AM »
In the smoker! I normally get 2 to 4 charcoal briquettes going and lay chunk of cherry or pecan on one and hickory on the other. If it's already warm out I just stick some chips in a clean can and stick a soldering iron in the can and place them in the smoker. Past few days has been way to hot to even carry cheese outside. Last Saturday was only in the low 70's.

MrsKK

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
Minamyna, I really don't think you are overhandling your cheese and I'm not sure why it wouldn't stick back together, unless it isn't hot enough to stick back together.  When I stretch mine, I take the chunks out and smoosh them around a bit, the centers are usually still kind of grainy as they still have unheated curd in them, so they go back in the hot whey.  I smoosh a few more chunks, then go back to the first one.  Eventually, the chunks are heated throughout and I work the chunks all together.  I do enough that I have a ball of hot curd about three inches through the middle.

At this point, I am able to start stretching the cheese.  If it starts feeling tough to stretch, it goes back in they hot whey (I keep the whey on the stovetop at a consistent heat so that it doesn't cool off).  I stretch and fold the curd around on itself until it starts looking smooth and shiny, then I form it into a ball.  There's always a "nub" on the bottom, so the ball goes back in the hot whey for about 30 seconds, then I take it out and put it on a flat surface for about another 30 seconds, then into cold water to help it firm up.

I'm obviously handling my mozzarella a lot more than you do, but it turns out good.  Maybe you are not stretching and kneading it enough?

Minamyna

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
You have a cow and you use raw milk correct?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 01:16:46 AM »
Mozzarella needs a good bit of stretching to get the pull apart almost stringy thing going.

MrsKK

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 01:57:11 PM »
Yes, I do have a cow and use raw milk...sadly, I had to dry her off this week, so cheesemaking is at a standstill for me for the next two months.

Waaaaaah!  I'm in withdrawal!

Minamyna

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 03:46:53 AM »
It just comes out really stringy and chewy, whereas the curd is not stringy and chewy.... sigh. and you get like this layer of harder edge on the outside and softer on the inside.

I am sorry to hear about your withdrawal, I have some milk, you can come visit me!!! I will share!

MrsKK

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
I'm sorry if our suggestions aren't helping with your cheese.

I'd love to come visit and try your cow's milk...I don't think you live anywhere near me, though.  (West central Wisconsin)  Thanks for the offer.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 03:54:37 AM »
Try turning the heating whey or water down a few degrees. I found it works best for me at about 170 and gives me a better texture  - not rubbery but does take a bit longer to heat the curds for stretching.

Minamyna

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 05:01:13 AM »
I tried it at 160 :(. I appreciate the help, there must be something obviously stupid that I am doing wrong.

:(

I have used all my thermophillic culture, I need to order some more.

MrsKK

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:45 PM »
Try using plain, active culture yogurt as a thermophilic culture.  I even use my Greek yogurt to culture mozz and I really like it a lot.

liotro72

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »
Dear Caciocavallo,

My name is Angelo Amara and I am Almac sales manager that follow in first person the Canadian Market. If you are looking for the moulding machine to produce both bocconcini and other kind of products, like: provolette and caciocavallo cheese, please contact me at the following address: angeloamara@almacsrl.it
We have a lot of customers in North America and in Canada, we have companies Like: Arla food Tre Stelle (Concord - ON), Galati Cheese (Windsor - ON), International Cheese (Toronto - ON), Silani Cheese Company (Ontario). While in US, we collaborate from a lot of years with the most important dairy companies, like: Sorrento Lactalis Group, Belgioso Company, Grande cheese, Park Cheese, Kraft Group.
I think I can help you for your technical need.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a great day
Angelo

ancksunamun

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:54 AM »
Would 24 hours be too long to leave the curds? I am following MrsKKs 2 day recipe and it calls for leaving the curds overnight but could I leave them until the next evening?

Perhaps popping them in the fridge overnight and then taking out to acidify tomorrow morning, ready for use tomorrow night?

Brentsbox

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
ancksunamun,  I sometimes leave my curds in the refrigerator wrapped in cheese cloth and sitting in a collendar for 2 whole days.  I have found it never really effects my finished product.   I do use whole raw milk, cream and all and dont know if that makes any difference.   

ancksunamun

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
Thanks Brentsbox

I left the curds wrapped in cheesecloth and sitting in the colandar and put them in the fridge overnight. I have got them out this morning to hopefully work tonight.

If it turns out this makes it quite a convenient cheese to make, without the time pressures (being able to leave the curds if required).

MrsKK

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 02:18:37 AM »
Yep, just do a test of a bit of curd to make sure it "spins" before you get too gung ho on the whole mass.  Mozz is really convenient, isn't it?