Author Topic: warm Raw cow'w milk  (Read 1662 times)

coffee joe

warm Raw cow'w milk
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »
15 liters of milk gave us this. Just out of the mold, September I'll taste what I've made but looks good so far.

Minamyna

Re: warm Raw cow'w milk
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
Grats what is it??

I just used my separated milk to make chocolate milk , I found a great recipe in joy of cooking to make chocolate syrup that calls for no corn syrup.... blech. It work amazingly.

coffee joe

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
It is, or I hope it will be, a Cheddar. Like the others before it, I will dry it and then cover with Beeswax before letting it "cave" in a fridge for 90 days or so. Until I manage to finish my real cave, then I'll be experimenting with bandage and natural rind.

I've been doing 10 and 15 liter batches so far in 6" form, Tomorrow is first attempt at 30 liter batch in an 8" form on the new Big Press.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:47:35 AM »
The bacteria are really slowed down by cold temps, so if you are using a cold refigerator you will need to age much longer.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »
Joe, that is an awesome looking cheese.  I also have to age in the fridge over the summer and Sailor is right, it will take much longer in the cold of a normally set refrigerator.  But, when it's the only option you have, that's what you have to do.

Minamyna, would you be willing to share that chocolate syrup recipe?  I hate the artificial stuff we buy in the store, too!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
Nice looking cheese Joe congrats!

Minamyna

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »
YES! Chocolate syrup recipe is VERY VERY EASY!

Melt 7 oz of Baking Chocolate (I used Ghiredellis and double boiler)
WHen melted at 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk and one cup of BOILING water
if more sweetness is desired add 1/4c sugar

I added half of a 1/4 cup, I was so impatient that my chocolate was not as liquidy, and there were some chunks so I strained it through some cheese cloth and saved the chunky part for ice cream topping and then the rest is for chocolate milk. It makes a lot and stores great in the fridge. I have made easily 2 gallons of milk so far.