Author Topic: Cycling after being bred?  (Read 2093 times)

MrsKK

Cycling after being bred?
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »
We had Buttercup bred three times between November and January and she kept coming back into heat. On February 9th, I put her bull calf in with her so I could see when she was in standing heat and never saw anything. She bled off two days later and has never shown any signs of heat again, so I assumed that the bull calf got the job done.

However, just on a whim, I bumped her side yesterday and I could swear that I felt a bump back...she's only 4 1/2 months bred, if the bull calf did it. I've never been able to feel the calf before six months on her previous two pregnancies.

So, is it possible that she took on one of the AI attempts and just continued to cycle? Her heats this winter were not strong ones, just mucus then bleed off two to three days later. The AI tech said that she felt very ready on all three attempts, too, even though she was not showing any heaty behavior. No mooing/bellering, no attempting to mount humans, as she normally does when in heat.

It would be great if the AI did work, as I was trying to get a beef cross calf out of her. My only concern is that I may not dry her off early enough for the best health of both the cow and calf.

Any thoughts?