Author Topic: Aged Chevre - Where to from here?  (Read 11731 times)

Brie

Re: Aged Chevre - Where to from here?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 05:33:14 AM »
Ditto on Yoav's observations, which is why I asked about the aging time. Your first pics look like a basic soft chevre--and the final ones have morphed into an inverted version in that the center is runny and the outside is intact. Mentors, please explain how this could happen--I like it!

MrsMarbles

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »
I guess I'm baffled by the inside-out comment.  Perhaps the photos don't show the ripening as well as I thought.  It definitely ripened outside to inside.

The cheeses began as basic soft chevre, and then were sprayed with mold.  Each week we could see  the softer area move further toward the center, when we cut one open.  In the pictures, there is the creamy area toward the outside and a firmer white center.  There's a visible line in the pictures between the two areas that moved inward about 1/4" each week.  There's a difference in the temps between the various weeks, and the last day it took me awhile before I took the picture, so that cheese is probably a bit warmer.  Still the area just under the skin was soft and creamy, not gooey or runny. 

iratherfly

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »
We are referring to your 6-day old cheese on the later photos you posted. The inside clearly looks gooey. The outside seems soft and less moist. There was a thread here about this a few months ago, I forget what it was. I think Linuxboy or Francois replied with a good theory about it.