Author Topic: Any Cheesemakers in the NC Mountains?  (Read 2791 times)

darius

Any Cheesemakers in the NC Mountains?
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:52:11 AM »
I'm in SW VA just over the line, would love to know who else in this area is making cheese.

littlejoenc

Re: Any Cheesemakers in the NC Mountains?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »
Hi darius
I'm near Hickory N.C.
I haven't made any cheese yet. just doing a lot of reading and getting all the stuff I need to get started...

darius

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
Cool! I'm still in the early learning stages too, and doing a LOT of reading. (And spending $$ to lay in supplies.) I hope you have as much fun as I do.

I lived in Boone many years, so I've been in your area often although not in a long time. I really miss living in the NC mountains.

~darius

glasman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »
i'm near asheville. making and selling at market. vic

darius

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:30:50 PM »
Which market, Vic? I get down to Avl occasionally and try to hit the market in West Asheville and the one up Merriman. Maybe I'll see you this summer!

eric1

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm in north Iredell County, NC, west of Winston-Salem, about an hour ENE of Hickory.  I haven't made any hard cheeses yet, but I've been keeping cattle and goats for about 4 years and have made some very simple soft cheeses with just buttermilk for culture and very imprecise homemade rennet.  I'm eager to start making hard cheeses.  I'd be very glad to connect with anyone nearby.  I'd love to help/learn from/observe anyone making hard cheeses nearby, and I'd be glad to share anything I could regarding dairying or the very simple cheesemaking I've done, if anyone wanted to come my way.
-Eric
704-546-5074

mtnbikemama

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »
I'm in Hendersonville.
So far have made feta, belper knolle, paaner, robiola, and a monks washed rind. Going for my first Tilsit this weekend. I'd love to meet others in the area!