Author Topic: Cheese cave  (Read 3058 times)

cheesemoose

Cheese cave
« on: June 30, 2010, 05:54:05 PM »
When using a home refrigerator with an external thermostat what does the temp of the freezer do?

MarkShelton

Re: Cheese cave
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »
I imagine it is like putting a thermostat in your house that controls both yours and your neighbor's house. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in your house (refrigerator portion) but your neighbor (the freezer portion) might tell a different story. The fridge portion will be controlled as you desire, but the freezer will come on and off on the schedule determined by the fridge temperature.

It may keep a constant temperature. It could also very likely have huge fluctuations in temperature due to differences in insulation, surface area, volume, etc.

I'd say get yourself a thermometer, preferably one that records high and low temperatures and monitor it. I would be very interested in knowing myself what happens.

Or, if you know anything about appliance repair or electronics, you may be able to hook the external thermostat to just the refrigerator portion and keep the freezer as-is. Or get 2 external thermostats to make 2 different aging areas with different conditions for different cheese types. Personally, I am not electrically or mechanically inclined, so I don't know how to do it, how difficult it would be, or if it is even possible.

cheesemoose

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »
I had hope someone out there was using a full size fridge and would know the answer

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:50:44 AM »
The instructions with my external thermostat said not to use the freezer portion of the refrigerator as you cannot assume it will maintain a freezing temp with the on/off cycling of the unit.
Pam

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:18:13 AM »
The external controller simply overrides the thermostat in the frig. I use on on a full size refigerator/freezer. The refrigerator stays at 55F +/- 1 degree. The freezer section is all over the place and definitely not good for freezing. In fact we keep sodas and water in the freezer compartment because it's REALLY cold but not freezing.

cheesemoose

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:34:11 PM »
Thank you for info glad it will be good for something

JohnnyBHammerer

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
On some models you can cut a passage between the compartments so they both have the controlled temp.  That's kinda of a permanent modification.

Minamyna

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
My old fridge I got has a a styrofoam divider between the fridge and freezer thats about 3" by 4" in was thinking about taking it out and putting the temp sensor in the bottom of the freezer part and setting it for the lowest temp i might need (like 45 degrees) and then the fridge side would be a little warmer.

Good idea? Bad idea?