Author Topic: Kinder Goats - What About'm?  (Read 5272 times)

Tropit

Kinder Goats - What About'm?
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:37:36 PM »
Anyone know much about this duel purpose breed of goats?  Do they give that much milk?  Are they worth butchering for the gourmet market?  Where is a good source of information on them?  Any breeders in CA?

linuxboy

Re: Kinder Goats - What About'm?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »
They're pygmy/nubian crosses. Any goat is dual purpose, there are just ranges in the continuum. A sleek Alpine or its cousin Togg breed doesn't have much meat, but will milk and milk. A boer kid, on the other hand, will put on 50 lbs in 4-6 weeks. And it's also about genetics. Some boers will give 8-10 lbs milk/day, albeit boer lactations are usually shorter. Lamancha lactations tend to be longer, but again, genetics determines this. If you're selling an animal for meat get a boer or Kiko or cross. If you're using the meat for yourself or want a dual purpose, pick something on the continuum to favor one or the other or be in the middle depending on what you want.

IMHO, unless you get really fantastic quality kinders, you're better off going with newer-line mini-nubians (nubian/nigerian crosses), or even regular Nigerians. Nigerians are the milk variety of pygmy goats. They were all called west african dwarf goats, and then split up on the basis of their appearance and milkability, with pygmys considered more meat and Nigerians more milk. But they're basically the same goat, just different genetic lines. Newer mini-goat lines are better than many kinder lines I've seen. The kinders I've seen (not all) don't give much milk, or have poor conversion, or small teat size, or conformation issues, or other challenges.

Check the MDGA for a breeder list.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:55:21 PM by linuxboy »

Tropit

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »
Thanks Linux,

I checked around and I did find more than a couple of Kinder breeders very close to us.  I think I'll call a couple of them and go have a look/see.  That's interesting that you have experienced LOW milk production...they're touted as having a high ratio of milk to size production and also very high fat content in their milk. 

I have to say, that I always worry about "new breeds" of anything.  I think that it gives license for people to do some bad and careless breeding and it takes awhile to get that stuff out of the breed.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »
Admittedly I'm biased because I raise the newer mini crosses :). If you get great Kinder lines, it can be just as you said, butterfat in the 6%+, high protein in the milk, good teat size and conformation, and daily production of 5+ lbs.

The milk from those west african dwarf ancestors and their descendants is really fantastic for making cheese. It's almost like sheep's milk. You could come close to making Basque cheese styles with it.

Tropit

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »
Hummmm....maybe I'll just get some sheep.  :D

I've really been looking seriously for some milk animals, especially goats, for my cheesemaking.  One of our family members is an unemployed butcher, so that's why I was leaning towards the Kinder Goats, since they are also meat animals.  They just seem like they're too new of a "breed" and I'm guessing that there could be lots of varitation in the breeding lines, not to mention some unwanted traits that will develop from all that line breeding. 

Boulderbrewer

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »
We have kinders, the current fresheners are giving about 4# of milk a day each. These were not top quality producers but there was nothing near where we live. We bought from a person who does not keep milk records, buy from someone who does. As far as milk quality the milk is outstanding. We have quite a bit of cream sticking to the milk jug. When you pour a glass you can see a lump go into the glass.

For meat they are far away more meatier than the dairy breeds, no they aren't like a boer.  You can start your own genetics with a nubian doe and a pygmy buck. Some people line breed their animals (all breeds can be line bred), those I stay away from.

Check out the Kinder Goat Breeders Association.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanderson95.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:57:40 PM by Boulderbrewer »

Tropit

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »
Thanks Boulder...

Yes, I've thought about starting my own line.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Hubby says no goats for now.   :-[

~ C.