Author Topic: Crumbly Jack....why??  (Read 1538 times)

scubagirlwonder

Crumbly Jack....why??
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:12:03 AM »
Hey all,
I decided to cut open my Peck o' Peppers Jack early (it's just a month into aging) due to concerns about the peppers rotting (read earlier thread: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4069.0.html).
Positives: Cheese tastes nice; tastes like Jack and plenty spicy, melts beautifully!
Negatives: Crumbly texture, kinda strange mouth feel (almost pasty?)
So this was the first cheese I attempted (after multiple previous disasters with bitter, acrid, inedible, crumbly cheeses) since changing to a better milk, so I was hoping to have resolved the crumbling issue (so happy I resolved the other problems!)....but alas, still making crumbly cheese.... I don't have a pH meter, so I am sure that's what everyone is going to say is the issue, but any tips for someone working without the aid of a pH meter?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Crumbly Jack....why??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:18:32 AM »
It looks nice and the texture could just be the age of the cheese. The peppers look fine I wouldn't worry. Can you vacuum seal the cheese? I would do that and wait another month or two. Keep your eyes on the peppers if they look like they are turning eat it. Removing the air will help keep the peppers from going bad longer plus the lactic adic in the cheese will help. I would expect to wait 6 months but 1 or 2  in a vacuum sealed bag should be okay.

FRANCOIS

Re: Crumbly Jack....why??
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
You guessed it, you are ripening too long before rennet and developing too much acidity.  If you are regualry making this cheese from the same milk supply you could try cutting your ripening time back by 25%.  You could also keep your recipe as is and doa  really good curd washing.  Either way it should improve your final pH.