Author Topic: Jack_MA11 quantity (pic added)  (Read 1954 times)

BigCheese

Jack_MA11 quantity (pic added)
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:01:48 AM »
I have MA11 not being used for anything but Peter Dixon says it is ok for Mont. Jack. I will be making an 8 gallon batch from raw milk, any suggestions? I have never used MA11

Thanks,
Nitai
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 05:12:55 AM by Nitai »

linuxboy

Re: MA11 quantity
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »
Yep, it's fine for jack. Use about 2/3 tsp for 8 gal with raw milk.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:47:16 PM by linuxboy »

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
Thanks, LB! I was skeptical that I would get a response before the make this morning, but you replied before I even went to bed!

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
I get the RSS feed and check on all the latest posts, so I reply when I'm in between tasks. :)

BigCheese

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:43:35 AM »
Well, aside from the wierd milk mentioned in another thread, my PH dropped too fast. It was at 5.7 when Peter Dixon was calling for 6.1 or 6.2. It was PH5.5 by the time I ladeled off most of the whey.

Rather than leaving it to pseudo-cheddar in the whey, I just proceeded with the make. I also abandoned brining (which I had planned) and salted the curds to avoid further PH drop. Could 2/3t have been too much? Or perhaps something had already begun the acid build-up in my milk, like too slow of an initial chilling?

I managed to double my pressing ability on my spring press by using two springs. I know I reached around or upwards of 300lbs, so that was good. Even still, salted curds are definitely harder to knit.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
It's hard to say with raw milk how much bacteria is there already because its age, how it was handled, milking conditions, etc all contribute to bacterial counts. What was the pH when you added the culture? I need about 1/2-2/3 tsp for an 8-10 gal batch, but milk is just a few hours old and runs 6.6-6.7. Sorry, raw milk varies, I didn't know how yours would be :(

You did great though, salted at the right point. Should still be tasty, but not exactly a jack. More like a washed curd wensleydale.

BigCheese

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 04:53:46 PM »
I certainly don't blame you LB! Without you, where would I be? I think I will try 1/2t next time around and see where it gets me. I did let the curds sit for 15m before scooping the whey down to curd level. Anyway, unless you show up here I doubt anyone who eats this will know to distinguish between a jack and washed curd wensleydale, myself included.

I am pretty sure my PH reading of the milk prior to innoculation was faulty. But this make taught me to not take for granted by starting PH and always check with a meter. Generally my milk is 6.6-6.7, whether completely fresh or 1 or 2 days old. But like I mentioned in the floating curd thread, this milk was chilled 24 hours in a small home-use propane fridge. Not ideal.

The cheese looks very nice. Pictures coming soon.

Thanks again.

BigCheese

Re: Jack_MA11 quantity (pic added)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:14:23 AM »
I think more pepper next time. This was around 1T dried red chili and 2 home-grown and pickled jalapenos, patted dry. It weighs 7 lbs.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 08:02:14 AM »
Nice!!

How will you do the rind?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BigCheese

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
Not sure at the moment. Any tips on a cocoa rind anyone? I think Sonoma Reserve Jack (might not be the right name) does cocoa and black pepper with oil. I worry I wont be able to get the pepper fine enough though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »
Looks great! I tend to put to many peppers. I believe I read somewhere that the coco powder is rubbed in with oil.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 04:27:34 AM »
I just saw a new cheese at a cheesemakers shop in NC. They wash a Tomme with a mix of stout beer and cocoa. The beer comes from the Lexington Avenue Brewery (LAB) in Asheville. They call the cheese a Chocolate Lab.