Author Topic: Mozz coming out dry  (Read 2469 times)

taeagan

Mozz coming out dry
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »
I'm following the standard basic mozz recipe:

1 gallon whole milk, not ultra-pasteurized
1 1/2 tsp citric acid, dilluted (stirred in at 55 degrees)
1/2 rennet tablet, dissolved (stirred in at 90 degrees)
Raise to 100-110 degrees, allow curd to set, separate from whey, heat, stretch

I've made it four or five times, and each time it comes out dry.  I've used lipase powder in some (and not in others), I used calcium chloride last time.  I've allowed the curd to set for five minutes, I've allowed it to set for 20 minutes.  I've heated the curd in the reserved whey, and I've done it in the microwave.  And each time the final cheese is just very dry.  It's not moist and soft like good mozzarella. 

Could it be the milk?  I'm just using regular supermarket milk - whole milk, pasteurized, NOT ultra-pasteurized.  Is this just the way the cheese comes out using this recipe?  Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

Tea

Re: Mozz coming out dry
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »
As I said in another post, I haven't tried the microwave mozz, so I can't help you there.  There is the chance though that it could be the milk that you are purchasing.  Always try and buy the best quality milk possible when making cheese, it really does make a difference.
Apart from that I can't help you.
Sorry.

bdasko

Re: Mozz coming out dry
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:24:08 PM »
I only used 1/4 tablet for 1 gallon of milk in mine (I've also had no success but mine wasn't dry) so I dunno, would too much rennet do that?  I've heard of it making the cheese bitter so I wonder.  I also only heat mine till 90 and then add the rennet and let it sit.

Complete noob here, so I don't know if I'm much help  ;D