Author Topic: Tale of Three Stiltons...  (Read 2550 times)

Gina

Tale of Three Stiltons...
« on: July 03, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
One of my favorite episodes of the tv sitcom Frasier tells of Nile's mis-adventures when trying to decide if he and his wife would make good parents. To simulate an infant, he carries around and 'cares for' a 10 pound bag of flour ...and the humor begins when all sorts of bad things accidently happen to it. That story reminds me of my first Stilton...

It is 3 gallon grocery milk plus cream made May 8. Spores were harvested from a store-bought stilton. All seemed to go well through through the make, draining, milling, hooping and turnings. There even were hints of blue when I removed the hoop (a converted plastic tupperware cannister). I was very hopeful - what possibly could go wrong????

After a Manchego, this was the second cheese I tried to make. At least the second cheese I'm willing to admit to. (I dont acknowledge that 1st mozz made with lime juice, which was eventually eventually cut into tiny pieces, wrapped tightly with twine, dipped in white dimpled plastic, labeled 'Nike', and used on the driving range...   8))

At the time of the 1st Stilton make, I really didnt know what I was doing (not that anything much has changed), and didnt realized I needed to keep the new cheese in a place with high humidity. So the blue stopped growing and some pinkish thing started. I dont know if it was a fungus, slime mold, bacterium, yeast or alien life form, but whatever it was, it wasnt blue.  :o So I scraped it off and smeared some more blue spores on it. That didnt help, the pinkish sticky stuff was too entrenched and re-grew. Sigh.

After reading some more, I transferred this cheese into a smaller container, this time with moisture, and into the regular cheese cave . Still in a state of willful denial, I decided to proceed and pierce the thing. I had a nice metal awl and sterilized that. In the process, I cracked the cheese. The awl apparently was too thick.  ::) Undeterred, I sanitized some twine and tied the cheese back together. It looked as if it needed some time in rehab. I should have taken a mug shot.

Another couple more weeks I decided I wanted to know what was going on inside, and it was no longer speaking to me.  Since I had accepted this Stilton had become a practice cheese, and without a real cheese trier, I first used a round vegetable thingie and took a plug. I saw no blue. Sniff. I then took a sharp knife and took another plug and saw a bit of blue inside. Well, that was not enough of a view for me, so today on it's 2 month anniversery, I decided to slice the poor thing in half, and surprise, there is a nice blue netting inside. It has a bit of an off taste but I'm hoping it's just because it's not old enough yet. So I'm putting it back and letting it age longer. Not sure what the best way to do that is however. Any suggestions, lol?

More recently I've made 2 other Stiltons. I've hopefully learned a few things from that first run, and hopefully these newer ones will turn out better. They already have nice external bluing that the first one never developed. They are in the second photo, Stilton 2 and 3. The one on the right is 2 weeks old. It's 4+ gallons, and the one on the left is almost 1 week old and is 6+ gallons. Both are in a cooled ice chest kept between 55 and 60*F.

If neither of the new ones turn out well, I'll probably shift to making smaller blues. Temporarily. Hope springs eternal. :)

Gina

Re: Tale of Three Stiltons...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:54:24 PM »
4 days later the mold is still growing nicely on my 2 most recent Stiltons, pictured below. :) 

In my part of So. Calif, recently it's been cool and overcast, even drizzly. Temp outside in the mid to high 60's, and high 50's at night. I've been able to leave the ice-chest slightly ajar for air exchange most mornings for an hour or two without the humidity going down, or temperature inside going up much at all.

When closed, I throw a comforter over the ice chest to help keep the temp constant. I change the 2 small (500ml) bottles of ice morning and evening.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »
Looking good so far!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:39:06 AM »
They all look very nice.

nilo_669

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »
Whats the  acidity of your curd before salting?

9mmruger

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »
Looking great Gina, and I love your story telling.  Really adds to the post.  Another pix of the two in the cooler would be really great to see.  I am doing my first blue this weekend, so have been perusing the blue's section of this forum for a couple of days.  It's really insightful.  Thanks for the posts!  They make me smile.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »
Hey, Gina!

I just tripped over stumbled across this thread. Fascinating and amusing reading in the wee hours. It would appear you're having a really good time with your Stiltons. Yes, at 6+ gallons, that's a pretty fair-sized Stilton. In my book, you're a brave soul.  ;)

Where in S. Cal are you? We left Port Hueneme two years ago. It was cool quite a bit of the time since we were right next to the ocean. I used to love kayaking out to net lobsters.  :) The really hot & nasty times were when the Santa Ana winds kicked in. Whew! Like hell on earth....

Keep them cards and letters coming....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Gina

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:09:41 AM »
Thanks guys, I really do enjoy making - and eating - the blues. I'll take some photos of Stilton 2 and 3 in the next couple days and post them.

Stilton #1, though it looked acceptable, had an odd taste. Life is too short to eat inferior cheese, so I decided to toss it. I opened #2 a couple weeks ago at a friends house (cuz they were curious about my cheese making), and while good, wasnt quite ready and is back in the cave aging more. Stilton #3 (the 'big' one) is still in a virginal, uncut state. Both 2 and 3 are no longer in the cooler and have been residing in the regular cheese cave for many weeks now.

In Socal, we are in view of the ocean, someplace between San Diego and Point Conception. ;) Those Santa Ana winds are very unpleasant - in the past couple years we've had to evacuate twice from wild fires, one coming extremely close. Hats off to the firefighters who gave their all to save our homes. That said, I love it here and wouldnt want to live anyplace else. :)

Whats the  acidity of your curd before salting?
I'm sorry, I didnt see this question. The answer: Sorry, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:15:23 AM by Gina »