Author Topic: Groves Cheddar #3  (Read 1205 times)

Groves

Groves Cheddar #3
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:50:54 AM »
Ok, so we did a wheel yesterday.

I'm dying to be a pH guru, but part of me wants to develop my "old school" ways (touch, taste, feel, etc). I don't have a meter anyway, so that fits.

3gal raw jersey milk
I also found a pan at the thrift store and used it for a mold. It's 7.25in wide.
buttermilk for starter
liquid rennet (I don't know what strength, ha. It says 1/2tsp is good for up to 2gal. I guess that's double strength?)

Here it is after the 3rd pressing:

What do you guys do after the last pressing? I'm flipping it often, but does it go immediately into the cave?

Given the larger diameter (7.25in) I'm sure I used a much lower psi than on cheddar's 1 and 2, so we'll see what the inside looks like later.

BigCheese

Re: Groves Cheddar #3
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Looks nice. before going to the cave you should put it on some sort of rack (sushi mat or plastic grid type thing) and flip a few times each day (or longer, depending on room temp and humidity) until the rind dries out. I flip mine like every 30 minutes when I am in their presence.... its a clinging issue.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:37:12 AM »
I love the mold Grove! The cheese looks great too. Leave it sit at room temperature for a few days until the wheel feels dry to the touch. Flip it every few hours if you can but try to suspend it so it gets good ait flow and you won't have to worry to much if you aren't there. Good job!

Groves

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 03:42:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I had it in the cave for the first day or so, but I've seen the light and brought it out into normal air til it skins up on me.

If I go for a natural rind, will it just get thicker and thicker as the days go on? or will it stop growing at some point?