Author Topic: Yeast question  (Read 1654 times)

MarkShelton

Yeast question
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
I recently bought a yeast to help with the rind development with my reblochon. It helps neutralize the surface so that the b. linens can thrive. The yeast strain is called KL71.

Until I used it the first time and the cheese had the pleasing scent of fermentation, it didn't even occur to me that Lalvin makes a wine yeast called 71B that claims to neutralize up to 30% of the malic acid during fermentation. It should have, though, since it's the strain I use with my high acid frontenac grapes!

It makes me wonder if the two are the same strain or variants of the same strain. It would be nice if they were interchangeable. The yeast sold as a cheese culture is ~$20 per pouch, while the wine yeast is about $2 a packet.

Anybody know?

linuxboy

Re: Yeast question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
No, one is kluyvermyces, the other is saccharomyces. But, the saccharomyces should still neutralize the surface, give it a try. It's stronger, though.

The classic surface neutralizer for very rapid effect is candida utils. Used with reblochon, cam, and smear rinds.

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 06:01:47 AM »
So I guess the "71" part is just a coincidence. I might still give it a try though, once I'm out of the KL71. Thanks for the tip about the canadida utils too. I'll look into that.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:14:26 AM »
Linuxboy - how do you know all this stuff??????

By the way, I am going to post now my Reblochons. I need some help