Author Topic: USA - New England Cheesemaking Supply Store  (Read 21854 times)

Tropit

Re: USA - New England Cheesemaking Supply Store
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »
I've ordered my supplies mainly from both, New England and Steve.  I find them to be equally professional and prompt in shipping.  None of my cultures were ice packed, but they seem to work just fine. when transferred to my freezer.  NE is fun because they have developed their own Direct Set specialty cultures and give lots of online tips.  Steve gives great customer service and accepts AMEX.  Now...I'm not a commercial cheesemaker, (at least, not yet,) but for the hobbyist, they both offer some decent products.  I mean, afterall, where the heck would I put some of those items if bought in bulk anyway?  I barely have room in my 30 year old fridge's freezer as it is.

OT: I won't even go into how I store my moulds and ripening containers...GAWD...I need a bigger house!

~ C.

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 06:26:59 PM »
Sailor - and what about Liquid Calf Rennet?  The thing is that these cultures usually have 12 months shelf life in the freezer and being in room temp (not to mention the inside of a truck) shortened their life span. Probably doesn't matter so much for a factory that will use them within a week, but for me - the home cheese maker, it takes me a while to go through a bottle of Lipase...

Tropit - they are both nice people and were sufficient when I started, but when I tried other cultures, I learned that using the right mesophilic, lipase, rennet and surface bacteria makes a HUGE difference in the character of the cheese you are creating. Texture, aroma, flavor, stability, speed of development, color, eye development, sharpness - all these things can be controlled beautifully. I just feel a bit like when you buy generic supermarket brand shampoo and you just don't know what's the real brand behind it and if this will leave your hair as nice as the leading brand you are used to. Sure, it will clean your hair, but can you trust it when you embark on a very particular hair style where the shampoo quality and character really matters?  Does it make sense? (Gee, since when do I make hairstyling references?)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
I buy from Dairy Connection on a regular basis and they have never shipped to me with cool packs or warm packs.

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
Damn it, I guess I am special.  (Again, can't remember if it was cold back or a chilled insulated box). They seriously advised me to wait for them to ship on Monday on one of their shipments because they didn't want it to get warm.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 09:57:52 PM »
I'm 2 days by UPS and I have had them wait until Monday to ship.

Tropit

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »
Yes, that makes perfect sense.  And of course, we all know that you're "special"...hee...hee.   ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 06:49:53 AM »
(Gee, since when do I make hairstyling references?)

You know, my hair is really fine. What can you recommend to control it?  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 07:02:06 AM »
Smear some Mesophilic on it? Wait, no, I mean buttermilk; same thing

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 07:11:10 AM »
Okay, I'm doing it!  O0   Wax on, wax off....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

9mmruger

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
I like to purchase from the Cheese Maker as well.  He is prompt and answers my emails quickly.  I am in Michigan so shipping is usually very quick.

aspelin

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
I've tried e-mail and it bounces back and the phone number is not in service.  I hate to think it but do any of you know if New England Cheesemaking Supply (www.cheesemaking.com) isn't open/out of business???
Thanks!

OlJarhead

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »
I've tried e-mail and it bounces back and the phone number is not in service.  I hate to think it but do any of you know if New England Cheesemaking Supply (www.cheesemaking.com) isn't open/out of business???
Thanks!

My wife bought me a bunch of stuff for Christmas so I'm sure they are still there.

One note though, they are slow to respond to emails -- very slow.  You can find them on Facebook too...but I'm not sure it will help a bunch.  You just have to be patient and they will respond.

Erik

Wolfy

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 02:31:11 AM »
Maybe they have new staff or processes (likely given how old this thread is, but still) because my email queries were answered within minutes, by "April O'Malley at New England Cheesemaking Supply Co." <info@cheesemaking.com>
The initial query I made was answered within 20mins and the follow-up questions all within 1 hour.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
I've received very good technical assistance from Jim Wallace at NECM, though sometimes it takes a day or two and a couple more questions to get the detail I want.  I also appreciate their monthly newsletter and tips.  However, I find their items very pricey and it just drives me nuts to have to call or email to find out what's in their packets.  They are definitely geared for newbies, IMO.  I don't want single use, thank you very much, and I want to know what cultures I'm buying.  Occasionally I'll buy rennet or cheesecloth from them, but cultures I get from Dairy Connection or occasionally Glengarry. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »
I've purchased from New England Cheese Maker but have found the cultures to be less expensive from https://cheeseandyogurtmaking.com/ .  Shipping is about the same with both.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos