Author Topic: smoothing stilton cheese after molding  (Read 7036 times)

T-Bird

Re: smoothing stilton cheese after molding
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
the blue mold did return on the outside by the way.

Tomer1

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »
How are you smoothening this?
Im on the second day of molding, the curds seemed to have bonded well but it looks a bit dry ,
Ive seen a video where they show the traditional make.
The curds during molding seem as dry as mine but at demolding and smoothing it looks really moist (and spreadable?) Do they use fresh cheese to smooth it out or what?

It looks like I'l crumble the cheese If I try to use a flat knife to smoothen, is this normal?

BigCheese

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
Smoothing is not essential and I had a similar experience that you have had and my stilton turned out great:

OudeKaas

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
Interesting pics! I started my very first Stilton-esque effort last week and, although the proportions are different from having used a taller mold, the texture of the exterior was very similar to what you show. After 4 days, I did smooth the exterior per linuxboy's reciped. I used the back of a spoon (metal, hope that was not a bad choice?) and was suprised at how easy  it was to spread the curd.

I already had some perceptble light greenish-blue mold at 4 days upon smoothing, and I closed up all of the apparent holes. Put it into a separate aging box within my 'cave' fridge. and took it out today to air it for an hour or so. The exterior has a moderate amount of the light bluegreen mold, which does appear whitish in some areas. Looks similar to what I have seen from others here, will post pics soon.

I am planning to do a first piercing in a couple of days. Wondering if there are any strong opinions on piercing pattern? I was thinking of maybe 12 holes vertically top-to-bottom and another 12 either radially or in two perpendicular sets in from the side . . .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:31:13 PM by Brandnetel »

BigCheese

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
I would not pierce until the blue mold has completely covered the cheese. Also, I think you want to do quite a few more holes than 12 on each side. For mine (which were 8" round) I must have pierced at least 50-65 on each side (top and bottom). I used a toothpick and repierced the sides a few times. You don't want to use something as thick as with a gorgonzola, for example.

CowDung

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »
Is there a reason to not pierce until the cheese is completely covered with blue mold? If one has added the p. roq. into the milk at the start of the process, it would be happy to start growing as soon as air is made available. Is sooner not better for interior mold growth?

BigCheese

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
Well traditionally I think they do not pierce for 5 weeks. I honestly can't remember exactly why. I made my Stilton almost a year ago. But I do remember Sailor, who was and presumably still is our resident Stilton guru, being firm on not piercing until it's fully blue. I chose to be a blind follower.

linuxboy

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »
I honestly can't remember exactly why
It takes a week or two for the cheese to be stable enough that piercing takes. If you do it too soon, you have to re-pierce repeatedly because the openings close in. That's the key determinant. Beyond that, waiting more or less is about the growth cycle of blues. You want to pierce when sporulation happens to encourage the color. If you wait, it delays maturation, which may be desirable, depending on what the cheesemaker wants to do.

CowDung

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
OK--that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

OudeKaas

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »
Here are some pics of my first blue cheese effort so far:

After and before smoothing. 4 days from the make after flipping in the molds at room temp 2x per day. Smoothed both and moved to their own box in my 'cave'.

Blues in the box after 4 more days. Combination of white and blue-green molds spreading. You can see the sushi mat below them and little cups of water for humidity. Condensation is appearing on the box so even without a separate meter in it I'm pretty comfortable it should be in the 90s RH-wise. Overall cave is at about 52-53 degrees.

Detail of the mold growth. I'm assuming this mix of colors is normal (is the white probably G.C.?) and the blue will grow to dominate later?

Tomer1

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
Perhaps lower the RH by removing the water and just let it be in a sealed box?
Could your describe your smoothening technique? Did you moisten the outside first to soften the curds?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:57:22 AM by Tomer1 »

OudeKaas

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
That's a good idea on the water, Tomer. I have 3 little cups in the box, so I could fine-tune. What I really need to do is buy another RH meter so I can get a more quantitative fix on it. For right now, I have just wiped most of the condensation off of the inside of the box and I am keeping an eye on it.

Regarding smoothing - I did think about dipping the spoon in warm water or similar, but due to a combination of contamination fear (OK, I suppose I could have sanitized the spoon and the container and boiled the water and cooled it . . .) and laziness I decided not to. (In fairness I did sanitize the spoon).

And so I was expecting that maybe I might not even be able to smooth this out. But I was surprised that the curd was very pliable and, with very little force applied, even spreadable. I tried to 'break' it as little as possible, keeping to 'smooshing' the open areas together to seal them closed. But in some places, particularly where there were large gaps, it was unavoidable to break the curd a little in the process. If a small piece came off, I just pressed it back in wherever it seemed most useful.

Tomer1

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »
Well my expirience today was a major fail,My curds are no where near elastic as yours.
Water didnt help, I just let it be and its in the fridge in a sealed quarentine box to prevent cross contamination between other cheeses. (Im having some good results regarding mold\yeast control with larding (just pork lard, no cloth) and a zip bag which I sucked the air out with a straw (You get this cool aroma while doing it, its like eating cheese flavoured air)

Been a month since I attemped this expiriment on a gouda and mock chedder (pressed too lightly to be a chedder) and nothing is growing and air seems to be keeping out.

Tomer1

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
I have to report that after less then two months I opened one up and the veining was heavy, it seems to have kept working despite the fact that it was stored in a sealed bag for the past 2-3 weeks.
Tasted devine-very creamy and not overly tangy.
This is my go to cheese from now on, need to make alot more.

OudeKaas

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »
Thanks for the update, Tomer. Any pics? Glad to hear of your positive tasting results and blue veining.

My own cheeses mentioned and shown above have now been pierced twice and the holes look fairly open. Continuing mold growth on the outside has continued to strongly favor white over blue/green though, including what I can see down the holes  :( The mold has grown and died/dried back over about all of the tops and bottoms, but the sides are still patchy, with bits of 'naked' cheese surface still showing through over maybe 45% or so. . .

I am two months in and trying to hold out until early July which will be 90 days. Patience . . . it's not my strong suit but this hobby is definitely developing it!