Author Topic: Reblochons taking a strange turn?  (Read 17972 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Reblochons taking a strange turn?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2010, 01:03:22 AM »
Neat caves. I will scpoe it out one day.

Tomer1

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
Alex if your wife needs a sourdough starter I have a great one Ive been working with for a year now doing 2-3 makes a week.
Good flavour\aroma (with proper fermenentation time) and great levening power (as good as cultured baker's yeast).
The Press is great btw, Do you remember whats the force multiplier?   My kitchen scale is limited to 4kg and my human scale is too large to fit.
Made a 10L Tomme which yeilded 1.2kg, I think I pressed it too firmly (after pressing under whey and getting a great knit).
Washing it with a linens brine in a box to maintain high humidity.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2011, 07:24:50 PM »
Thinking on reblochon today.  Yoav, a belated thanks
for this video
, totally inspiring. 

I was stricken by how small his curds end up being, going into the moulds - by my eye, no bigger than (perhaps, large) rice grains, about the size I'm shooting for with my Beaufort makes. 

I'm also thinking about the inclusion of P. candidum in the make; I know mine has gone nuts, and of the 6 wheels I've made, I'm allowing 2 to just go through the p. candidum life-cycle, before washing back; the others, are all being washed with a 3% linens (touch of geo, and now, having used the wash, whatever other adventitious yeasts, etc., are on the wheels) brine. 

I think for the next make, I will forego p. candidum altogether.  I don't have the luxury of a cave established with linens, else I'd just do a "naked" 3% brine, and see what happens.

Anyway, a wonderful, helpful video, Yoav.  If you're reading, thank you again.
- Paul

iratherfly

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »
Oh wow, haven't been on this thread in a while. I think that the low acidity of the washed rind will give you little to no growth of P.Caldidum. If it will grow, you will end up wiping it off anyway when you wash the cheese.  The white dusty stuff on Reblochons is actually late Geo bloom.  The other thing is, the more cultures you add, the more competition you have between the bacterium on nutrients and less growth you experience. i would let the P.Candidum go.  One more comment - Classic reblochon calls for washing with simple brine only, no B.Linen added.  I too tried it with B.Linen and discovered that the wash is just way too strong. Simple 3% salt water are best for washing this delicate cheese.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
Okay, I know it's been a long time but I've been traveling.  Felt like I awed everyone on this thread the ending to the story.

As it turns out I was right; these Reblochons indeed took a strange turn. I think that initial milk acidity was wrong and they must have been doomed from day one.

However... After looking at these crazy smelly rinds and the overly firm cheese I figured that instead of throwing them away I should just work the rind and finish aging them as small Tommes. That was a good idea; When I opened them (day 75) they were full of aroma and packed with very complex flavor (Strangely out of season, felt like it belongs in winter).

I traveled to Israel with 14 of my cheeses and got met Alex who got a good tasting of it too. One last cheese remained in my cave in NYC and when I returned I found it to have caught Geo and Cylindrocarpon from a neighboring cheese. That second one was even better: a deep rustic rind of mustard-gray-white color spots with the added mushrominess of cylindrocarpon. No Reblochon yet :o( ...but good accident :o)

So here they are, my Reblochon failures turned excellent Tommes:

I know it's an old thread - searching for info on ISFET meters - but Yoav, have to say, these are beautiful, regardless of their original intent!
- Paul