Author Topic: Matting Parmesan Curds?  (Read 6267 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Matting Parmesan Curds?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
After pressing I remove the cheesecloth and return it to the hoop bare, then press for an hour or so. If I am doing a cheddar or salted curd type, I increase the pressing weight slightly. Pretty much removes all wrinkles.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:15:35 AM »
Is there something different about your mold that it doesn't need cheesecloth?  Or is it a usual mold but you just don't use it for this particular cheese?
Susan

Nope just a tome/St Paulin mold from Dairy Connections. $30 I think. Flat top and bottom.

chupaqueso

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »
I have to say getting mine to do a smooth surface is not a happening thing, they always have crooks and crannies.

I just made my first Parm 2 nights ago and when I pulled it out of the brine it was full of mechanical openings.  Is pressing under whey the overall solution for that issue?  None of the recipes I used called for that.

This is like my 6th cheese ever made, but my first one using thermophilic cultures.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
No it's not the overall solution but extra warmth during pressing seems to help - especial if it cool in your make room like mine is.

bmckee561

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
Wish I had read this post before making my Parmesan batch yesterday.  I used the recipe from this site only I made a 3 gallon batch.  I used skim milk, calcium chloride, thermophilic starter (from Leeners), Mild Calf Lipase (from Leeners), 3/4 tablet of Rennet (from Leeners).  I obtained great curd formation and after cutting into 1/4" pieces I allowed them to heal and then raised the temp to 124 F.  I followed the recipe almost completely and ended up with some nice small, firm, squeaky curds.

What I did not know was that I was supposed to allow the curd to form or mat for 5 - 10 minutes before removing them from the whey.  Had I done that, maybe I would not have had my wheel of Parmesan fall apart on me when I attempted to turn it over in the brine.  The cheese literally broke apart into small curd shaped pieces.  The wheel also never floated in the brine.

So why in the initial recipe was nothing said about allowing the curd to form and mat before removing it from the brine.  I can see where this would have allowed the cheese to come together better.  I am terribly disappointed in the loss of a 3 gallon batch as well as the time and effort put into this batch yesterday.

I know now that I should have done more research on making this cheese and can only blame myself for the final outcome.

My next attempt I hope will be more productive.

Salute!   :D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »
Not letting it mat was not your problem. If it was a good make, the curds would have aggressively bonded during pressing. Parm uses a thermophillic culture. With thermos, the pH curve usually accelerates well into pressing and the curds bond like crazy. That's why many people have problems with the cheesecloth sticking. So, the scant evidence suggests that the lactic acid production was below normal. That is, the acid never really kicked in to create aggressive curd binding.

There could be several causes, but I would suspect it began with your starter. It is possible that your generic "Thermophilic Starter" was not the right mix of bacteria. But my guess is that either the culture was old, not very active or you didn't use enough. Using a Primer/Mother Culture really helps resolve these kinds of variables. Even with a low activity starter, a Primer Culture creates a robust environment that guarantees a good start. Here is a link to how to do Primer Cultures.

Primer Culture Photo Essay

smilingcalico

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »
Everyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought a wheel not floating in brine was an issue of the brine not being saturated enough.  I could see if maybe there were a bunch of mechanical openings, both at the edge and inside, maybe it could sink like a ship.  Is this enough to add to the cause of the cheese coming apart?  Maybe the curd not matting and insufficient saturation of brine?

bmckee561

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »
Brine was 1/2 gallon water (boiled) and 1/2 gallon of whey and 4 cups of non-iodized salt.  My Brine pH was 4.7 - 4.8.  I do believe it was sufficiently saturated. 

Salute!   :D

Tomer1

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
Whats the reasoning for having low fat milk for parm?
Is it just how its traditionally done or will using whole mix completly change the texture?

zenith1

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »
tradition certainly has a lot to do with it, but more than that a full fat cheese(one made with whole milk) will not grate like a "skimmed" milk prepared one will.