Author Topic: Cheese Photos - From the GIGANTIC 56th NASFT Food Show!  (Read 3710 times)

iratherfly

Cheese Photos - From the GIGANTIC 56th NASFT Food Show!
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
Last week I've had the pleasure to attend America's largest food show (I think the worlds' largest) - the 56th NASFT Annual Summer Fancy Food Show. I know that the longer the name, the smaller the event is usually, but this one is a true behemoth with 180,000 specialty foods and beverages, 2,500 exhibitors from 80+ countries and 24,000+ attendees - all of which must be either press or in the food business. My stomach could barely contain the HUNDREDS of tastings of chocolates, olive oils, ice creams, pickles, cured meats, pastas, tequila, pastries, coffees and of course ....CHEESE!!! LOTS OF CHEESE!!!

I would not be exaggerating if I estimate that I've tasted 300 types of cheese in this 3 day event. (where are the Guinness World Records people?) Anything from creamy to process to stinky to extreme, from France, Italy, Greece, Spain, USA, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Mexico, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Chile... to name a few. Luckily I could always reset my palate with stuff from the next booth over; chocolate truffles, caviar, foie gras or refreshing drink were always an arm length away. This was a truly fantastic event.

What made it really special was that I got to meet a lot of people; from French master cheese makers to dutch cheese tooling makers to the many "big cheeses", including the nice people of Cypress Grove Chèvre (the makers of Humboldt Fog), the friendly cheesemakers of Rouge Creamery (makers of Caveman Blue amongst others), the guys from The Cellars at Jasper Hill that came with some of their cheesemakers, the people of Culture Magazine and the new Cheese Connoisseur Magazine and even the ACS people.

Lots of giveaways at the end of the show: I picked up a huge slab of Humboldt Fog, a box of Cremeux de Borgongne, a wheel of Brillat Savarin Frais, a huge piece of Caveman Blue, an entire Ile de France Brie and a really nice spreadable Argentinian cream cheese. Heck, the French people even gave me all of their hay used for cheese staging in their glass display refrigerators - it is now lining the shelves of my cheese cave.  ...and that was just the cheese - don't get me started with the chocolates and coffees...

Here are some photos from this amazing event. The next one is in Washington DC next year, but there is a winter show in San Francisco in January. If anyone is attending - please mention it!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:55:08 PM by iratherfly »

iratherfly

Re: Cheese Photos - From the GIGANTIC 56th NASFT Food Show!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
By  the way, it is worth mentioning that since there were buyers from all over the world in the show, there were plenty of young raw milk cheeses displayed. Quite a rare opportunity in the US!

Here are a few more interesting photos to look at:

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »
Wow. That took real stamina to taste all that food! ;D

BigCheese

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
Wow! Simply, wow. Are you going to the one in San Fran? Need a tasting partner to bounce ideas off of? I used to be in the food industry (dishwasher, food runner, line cook  ;))

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »
Haha Pam... kudos to my stomach :) but really, it was fun. Believe it or not, I still felt I wanted to try more - I just didn't have time to taste the over 2000 cheese on display!

Nitai - Indeed! Imaging my feeling walking into this place!!!
I am not sure about San Fran yet, too early to decide. Its open to industry only but frankly you can put down that you are a cheesemaker and you will get in (of course you will need to buy a ticket). I would certainly join you if I am there. The summer show is somewhat larger but perhaps would be smaller in the next couple of years as it would temporarily be moved to DC while the Javits convention center in New York City is going through renovation.

BigCheese

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »
Well I do a cow share and make cheese, thats industry enough for me. How much does a ticket run though?

Tropit

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »
Incredible!  Where was this show located?  When is the one in SF being held?  Thanks for all of the great photos!

~ C.

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
Nitai - I believe it was $35 during pre-registration and would have been $60 on site. Well worth it. (Heck the food I took home alone from the last day was worth well over $100!)

Tropit - The show took place in the Jacob Javits Convention Center in Manhattan, New York City.  The SF show will be held Jan 16, 17, 18 at the Moscone Center. It is about half the products and two thirds the exhibitors, countries and visitors but you will still have well over 1,000 cheeses to taste!!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:05:02 AM »
That was simply amazing. Did you think you died and went to cheese heaven? So many wonderful cheeses yet to be tried ....

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:06 AM »
Yes Debi... and think that I am only showing you the cheese here. Don't mind the foie gras, chocolates, caviar, olives and cured meats... 180,000 products, 3 day show; you do the math  ;D

Gina

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the pictures - they are both inspiring and daunting. What an incredible variety. Wish there was Taste-O-Vision.  :)

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 12:33:49 AM »
That's my next startup :)