Author Topic: rennet?  (Read 17007 times)

AvB

rennet?
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:05:55 PM »
I live in Vancouver and am trying to buy rennet locally.

Basic internet searches suggest that the only rennet available is that found in Junket tablets. I'd rather not use this, if possible.

Ideally, I'd like to find vegetarian rennet, Mucor miehei. Maybe this is too ambitious in a city that seems to have no rennet at all?

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to find rennet in Vancouver or around BC?

BigCheese

Re: rennet?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »
If you are willing to order online, Glenngarrycheesemaking.com in Ontario has veg rennet. The cheesemaker.com also has veg rennet tablets (not junket). I have been using the tablets but plan to switch to liquid when they run out.

Are you a fellow vegetarian cheesemaker?

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Hi AvB I'm Canadian and grew up in Vancouver but live now in Houston.

I bought my first rennet in local US based Whole Foods chain grocery store, I had to phone 2 before I found one that had some in stock, it was located in the cheese section on a wall rack on peg. I know they have a Whole Foods in Park Royal West Van, must be others.

If no luck then as Nitai says, have to make an order from an online supply store.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 03:04:52 AM »
Look in the pudding sections of your grocery stores.

AvB

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
@John: Thanks! I'll check out the Whole Foods. I think there's one at Cambie and Broadway, if I'm remembering the right store name...

@Nitai: I found Glenngarrycheesemaking.com too. It was my default for a group by if all else failed :) Thanks. And yes, I try to be as vegan as possibly, while still loving cheese :)

@Sailor Con Queso: Thanks. I think I'll try that in some of the larger stores. The one near my place doesn't have much pudding aside from soy-based in the cooler section. We're a bunch of hippies on the north end of Commercial Drive :)

AvB

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:31:15 PM »
To follow up: rennet is not available at Whole Foods at either the West Van or Cambie St stores. The Cambie St folks new what I was talking about, and said they're unable to find any to order, or they would.

Alas.

Capers told me the same story.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:53:06 PM »
Junket works! You'll get somewhat firmer curds with animal rennet than Junket but I find Junket equal to veggie rennet. I used it for years for all my cheeses hard and soft and it works fine just keep in mind that is works differently as far as measurements in "recipes."

Go to their website and they will give you the breakdown for cheese.

AvB

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »
Thanks Debi,

I'm using that currently but am very interested in switching to a product that doesn't use animal rennet. I think I'll place and order soon to the Glengarry folks once some friends are ready to do the same (save on shipping).

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:59:08 PM »
Glengarry is a good supplier and if you have question Margarette will answer them if she is around. Great lady! I order from her a lot. Sorry I didn't know Junket was animal based I guess I never looked.

AvB

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
No worries. I like that you're on a first name basis with the company :) Cheesemakers are so friendly!

AvB

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »
FYI: Rennet is also available (in Junket tabs) at Bosa Foods on Victoria Dr.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
No worries. I like that you're on a first name basis with the company :) Cheesemakers are so friendly!

Anyone that answers the phone up there is friendly. Makes you feel like you known them forever!

bigsearock

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »
Galloway's carry rennet though it's cheaper to order it from the internet if you're getting other stuff too.

They have stores in Richmond and Burnaby: http://gallowaysfoods.com/

windowater

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »
Gourmet Warehouse on East Hastings between Clark & Commercial has it.  Calcium chloride too and some starters.  Also WineKitz on 4th near Blenheim claim to sell cheesemaking supplies but nothing on hand last time I was there.  They may be able to order for you.