Author Topic: Hello from NC Appalachia  (Read 1650 times)

mtn_prof

Hello from NC Appalachia
« on: July 08, 2010, 02:55:01 AM »
Greetings,

I can't believe I only today discovered this site. I'm an amateur cheesemaker living in the NC Appalachian mountains. Asheville would be the closest city. I've been making cheese for about six years now. Cheddars and gouda mostly, though the occasional soft cheese. I'm mostly an cheesemaking autodidact, but took a great class las summer at Spinning Spider Creamery here in NC on gouda. It was a lot of fun to meet other cheesemakers. Until then I had never met another one!

This week I made my first yogurt on the spur on the moment, and even more spur of the moment made a neufchatel with the leftover milk. Yum.

I'm looking forward to reading more on the forums!

Ben

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Hello from NC Appalachia
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:59:26 AM »
Welcome aboard Ben! Sounds like you had great fun at the class. It would be nice to meet up with another cheesemaker sometime. Enjoy!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:00:04 AM »
Welcome.

I just visited Looking Glass Creamery in Fairview outside of Asheville. There are several really good artisan cheesemakers in the area.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »
Great to have you aboard. I look forward to your input.

mtn_prof

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
Welcome.
I just visited Looking Glass Creamery in Fairview outside of Asheville. There are several really good artisan cheesemakers in the area.

How was Looking Glass? I haven't been out there, and didn't even know that they were open for visitors.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »
They are not open to the public. I got a private tour. Nice small setup. She's doing lots of fresh and soft goat cheeses. Sells to lots of restaurants.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
Howdy Ben in North Carolina USA, welcome!

In our Library there's a Course section in case you can give us a quick write up :).