Author Topic: Chaource a la Alex  (Read 4214 times)

Brie

Chaource a la Alex
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:15:42 AM »
Ah, my campadre Alex taught me how to make this delicacy! No herbs in the paste; yet I did add some sweet paprika to the rind. Rave reviews--thanks Alex!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Chaource a la Alex
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
Really nice! Something along this line for me tonight too. I got the Alex bug! Great job Brie!

Alex

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
Are you talking to me? 8)
If all the buzz is around me, I am more than flattered, but mainly  :-[.

Brie, all your cheeses look GREAT-GREAT-GREAT (this and the others on parallel posts).
Congrats!!!

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
Why are you sad, Alex? You've been an inspiration to us all! Thank you!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 03:42:52 AM »
I was thinking embarrassed from all the praise.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:22 AM »
Alex, watch out, I am coming over!

Brie - I am still trying to figure out what it the tasting. Is that a contest? Show? your home?

Brie

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 05:25:25 AM »
Yoav, it is a party at my brother's home in Florida--20 of his closest friends and 15 of my closest cheeses. What more in life is there? Oh yes, the wine!

Alex

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
I don't know anybody who doesn't like to be praised, and so am I, but at the same time I also feel embarrassed. I feel honoured to be praised by such valuable forum members.

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »
Sounds fun Brie! That's A-LOT of wine!!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 02:16:22 AM »
I made the lactic Chaource a la Alex Friday night and drained it all day yesterday. The curds kind iof looked like a thick yogurt (see photo1) and after draining and molding they seemed rather dry and crumbly (see photo 2) is it supposed to be like this? I am totally new to this arena of cheese. Never thought I'd ever find myself making French styled cheeses. I'm more of a hard strong flavored cheese person but you made it look so good compared to the store bought stuff I had to try it.

Alex

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
Debi,

The curds look just they should to. The cheeses look wanderfull, nice traditional shapes. The cut pyramid is a Valencay shape but it should be charcoal coated. About the texture, you are right, may be you dried them too much. Never mind, sometimes I do that on purpose to get a dryer and sharper cheese. Traditionally, you have to transfer the curds directly to the moulds. I don't do that. I always pre-dry in a cheesecloth lined collander. I hope Yoav will have the opportunity to taste the over dried cheese at my place and describe the taste with his better English. On the attached pic you can see the cheese out of the mould shiny and wet on the way to the cave. The last pic shows the drier type of cheese I've made recently with washed rind.
BTW, did you inoculate the milk with PC? 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:25:11 PM by Alex »

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 07:38:36 AM »
Grrrr.... where's the recipe? How much time do they need? Do you think I'll have enough time before my July 24 trip? I am now making the last cheese before the trip because I'm afraid the rest would need too much attention when I am not here.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:49:27 AM »
Deb,
Any idea what your hoop pH was?  I only ask as it looks like the pH is too low.  Not the end of the world but it will have some texture implications for you.  The cheese should still be good though if you can get the mold to grow well.

Alex

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »
Yoav, you won't have enough time.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 02:23:03 AM »
Never really looked like curds just thick yogurt. Nope didn't check the pH but I did drain for whole a day and squeezed the whey out.  After draining it looked more like cheese but dry riccotta. Drained to much huh?

I didn't add P.cad to the milk. I read somewhere that you could spray them so I thought I'd try that for a change from the other white mold cheeses to see if it works. That stuff does grow like crazy.

I used the pryimid molds for a different shape for the flavors. I fgured I would loose track if they were all the same shape and covered in white stuff.