Author Topic: Stilton: Nooks, Crannies, and Excessive Surface Mold...  (Read 1073 times)

BigCheese

Stilton: Nooks, Crannies, and Excessive Surface Mold...
« on: July 10, 2010, 02:36:23 AM »
My Stiltons have been the low point of my cheesemaking over the last two months. For over 3 weeks now I have had them in coolers (very bad air flow) fluctuating in the 60's with RH approx 70%. Last few days I did not switch out the ice packs as quickly as desired and some mold that was scarcely evident picked up its pace.

My question is how do I eradicate this mold given the quite open nature of my stilton's skin? I hope I am not too late and it has already taken over inside. I tasted them (there are 2) the other day with a trier and the flavor was coming along very nicely, a little blue inside, and one was nicely creamy. I dont want to lose them. If need be I am willing to massacre the rind and lose the characteristic stilton rind if it will save the inside. Tips anyone?

Brie

Re: Stilton: Nooks, Crannies, and Excessive Surface Mold...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:19:31 AM »
Let them go--they create a mosaic of colors and molds, which makes the cheese what it is now and will become. Your cheese looks great and is exactly the process that makes a Stilton a Stilton. Don't wash--try to keep it between 50-55 degrees with some air flow at least once a week. Keep holes open for oxygen to permeate and allow the P.roqueforti to do its job.

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »
Are you sure? I am not sure my picture conveys what I was reffering to very well. All along there has been some white mold in addition to the blue/grey. But now there is a different white mold that is of the hairy, wispy variety. Is this still ok to leave around?

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »
60 degrees is probably too high to be aging--can you move the temp down to 50-55? Blues quite frequently get a little hair growing on them, but it usually dies down after a few weeks. I would still let them go and see what happens. It's all experimentation anyway.

BigCheese

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »
Thanks Brie, I will let the mold go for now and get them down to the cave (15mins away) on Mon.