Author Topic: Feta Surace Slimey - Brine Problem?  (Read 4429 times)

Oberhasli

Feta Surace Slimey - Brine Problem?
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
I made a batch of feta this week for the farmer's market.  I decided to try the "light" brine recipe in Margaret Morris's book, using 14oz. of kosher salt for a gallon of water.  I didn't like the way the cheese came out - it felt slimey when I took it out of the brine.  I am trying to find a good balance here because I have had some customers say it is too salty in the past, so I was trying to adjust to a less salty brine.  I had it in the brine for three days and I just didn't like the feel of it.  Does anyone else use the light brine recipe?

Cheese Head

Re: Feta Surace Slimey - Brine Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:07:09 AM »
Nope, but there is some info here on causes and remedies of slimy brine stored cheeses and some info here on brine for storing cheese.

Oberhasli

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
Thank you.  I figured there was some info on brining - I just forgot where to look :-)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
No probelmo, theree is some more discussion on this subject in the Forming Cheese Board.

But your question on low salt content brines is a good one, hopefully someone will answer.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »
Oberhasli,

The mixture of kasein and salt causes the slimy effect. To overcome it, add CaCl to the brine to ballance the loss of it from the cheese in the brine. Add a shallow ts of CaCl/1 liter of water. For feta I use the whey as brine with a rate of 16-18% salt. If it is too salty for your customers, recommend them to soak the cheese in water or milk before eating. Feta should be salty. I wouldn't use less salt, as it functions as a preservative as well.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
Ditto the previous post regarding CaCl... I also added a little bit of CaCl to the milk prior to making the cheese.  For a first batch of Feta (which many people have reported problems with) mine ROCKED..

Other tips from my success at this cheese: Salt the cheese after it has drained for a day, then let it set for another couple days to firm up prior to brining.  Not only does this allow the flavors to develop, it "toughens" the cheese a little to stand up to the brine.

As another on this board has advised: Inform your family that you are making this cheese, and that the odor produced during the initial aging is "normal", and is NOT from a dead animal.

DAMHIKT!

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

Oberhasli

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »
Thank you for the CaCl suggestion.  I will try that.  When you use whey as a brining solution do you reuse your brine?  I have tons of whey that I have to toss.  I had never thought of brining with it.  Do you use the whey from the feta you have just made? 

Bonnie

Alex

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
Thank you for the CaCl suggestion.  I will try that.  When you use whey as a brining solution do you reuse your brine?  I have tons of whey that I have to toss.  I had never thought of brining with it.  Do you use the whey from the feta you have just made? 

Bonnie

Yes, I do. Just salt it to the desired saltiness.