Author Topic: Asiago Pic from the Party  (Read 3069 times)

Brie

Asiago Pic from the Party
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:00:48 AM »
Tried the recipe from Ricki Carrol's site for the Asiago Pressato--young aged at only 40 days. It was really good and easy to make. Not found in the US as it is aged under 60 days using raw milk.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Asiago Pic from the Party
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:47:17 AM »
Looks great! Have you tried aging it for 8 to 12 month yet? Great as a grating cheese too!

Minamyna

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »
Do you press your parm /asiago under heat to get the curds to meld? As always your cheeses look beautiful.

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:36:35 AM »
This is an Asiago Pressato--an early aging cheese that is ready at 40 days. Not available in the US as it is made from raw milk and aged under 60 days in Italy. Such a great find and not too difficult a make. I found the recipe at cheesemaking.com under recipes with step by step instructions. Lert me know if anyone else tries it. It is not pressed under whey but the cheese does setle under whey for 20 minutes before draining.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 04:29:37 AM »
I make asiago fresco from time to time for pizza cheese I believe it is the same thing. Quite good!

Cheesetart

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
I'm trying to patiently wait for my earliest Asiago to age...........perhaps I will try this over the weekend......Understanding the flavor will not be as sharp, it certainly sounds interesting. 

jawdog

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 04:31:04 AM »
I made on using the same recipe (halved - 3 gal) in June.  Taste was great.  Didn't melt well in microwave, but did over pasta.

So, I made another one (6 gal); and, it is still in the brine.  I wonder how long this whole milk version can age?

John

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
Asiago can age for years if you want to wait. The older it is the sharper it is. After about 9 months you can use it as an excelent grating cheese as well. I often mix an aged parmesan and asiago together for my Italian dishes.

Cheesetart

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »
Today I tried this recipe from Ricki's site - I'm not overly fond of her recipes and for some reason they always seem to be the ones I struggle with,.......my curds fought with me at first on this (I think it was that I wasn't using my normal milk) -- but the press has been pretty good.  I like the knit so far -- so we'll see what happens!