Author Topic: Gouda goes to the Party!  (Read 1896 times)

Brie

Gouda goes to the Party!
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:04:55 AM »
This is a gouda that I aged for 5 months. The texture was really nice and taste smooth; although I don't have a method for smoking on top of the stove. I added liquid smoke, and it was much too strong of a smoke flavor. Any help on smoking a cheese on top of the stove?

Alex

Re: Gouda goes to the Party!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »
Cheese should be cold smoked, so smoking on the stove wouldn't be the right method. I smoke my cheese on my BBQ by placing the cheese at one end of the grill and a tin box filled with wet saw dust at the far side. I put a soldering iron into the saw dust so that it is only smoldering. May be you'll have to discard the ash and replace it with fresh saw dust. I can't predict the time needed because the process isn't constant, so I just look at the tan of the cheese. The picture shows a piece of smoked Mozz. Tip, smoke a piece of Feta, you'll love it!

Brie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
That looks great, Alex! How does it taste?

Alex

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »
It had a mild smoked flavor, something to reproduce ;)
I used french white oak and cherry.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:43:54 AM »
Looks tastey Alex!

Brie

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 03:44:04 AM »
Deb, if there's anyone who can instruct on smoking cheese on the stove-top, it must be you! There has got to be a way!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 04:06:34 AM »
Well there is a way to smoke on the stove top but you need a good vent fan or you will smell the smoke for a week and set off all you alarms. A better way if you don't have a grill or smoker would be to use a large roasting pan, get you chips or sawdust going and put on the lid a bit crooked to let some air in and smoke out and do it outside.

They do actually make stove top smokers and Rival make one a few years back that was great for small smokes like cheese or chicken. Tobad it didn't catch on. They over priced it at first. I bought two on sale for $15 a peace I use them at work for reheating when I cook for the office.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »
Rival is a hot smoker, isn't it? IMHO it doesn't suit for cheese smoking.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:23:11 PM »
If you get the smoke rolling then turn it off it might work. You always have to watch the heat no mater what you use.