Author Topic: Pepato Toscano Partied Too  (Read 2628 times)

Brie

Pepato Toscano Partied Too
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:14:47 AM »
This was an interesting cheese that I tried from Ricki Carrol's site. It is layered with Roasted black peppercorns and chipotle chile. I aged it for 4 months and it was quite like a Romano--hard rind and quite sharp. Many loved it--a taste to be aquired, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Pepato Toscano Partied Too
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:48:38 AM »
Looks very interesting. Was it bitter?

Brie

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:42:26 AM »
No, not bitter--I didn't know what to expect. Will have to taste again and it was shuffled in all the other cheese in the tasting. I don't know what I was looking for here--a softer cheese with spice or a Romano type with spice--seems I achieved the Romano type, and not so sure it works with spiciness for grating. Again, have to get my palate back on course to taste again.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:22:26 AM »
Sometime the cheese must stand alone ...

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »
Sometime the cheese must stand alone ...

I agree. Sometimes a cheese is wonderful if it's not sampled with a dozen other cheeses. Flavor overload. That's why when wine tasting, you always start off with the mild, sweet whites before progressing to the heavy reds.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
I must agree too. Beautiful looking cheese.
I am afraid though that perhaps Mexican peppers may not work in this Italian cheese... It's not just a matter of regionalism and flavor... I suspect that the essential oils of Chipotle can break down and go rancid under the cheese' enzymes' activity. Black pepper or truffles are much more durable for this purpose. Flavor-wise, I think that if you want to pair it with any Mexican chili, perhaps Ancho chili would work best for its sweetness and deep hearty flavor