Author Topic: Danisco's Choozit MA 14 LYO & MD 89 LYO - Uses?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Danisco's Choozit MA 14 LYO & MD 89 LYO - Uses?
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »
In organizing my culture pantry I came across two unoppened packets of MA 14 LYO, and MD 89 LYO.  Through some research I uncovered that they are both meso cultures, but for the life of me I cannot recall the specific intent for which I had purchased them.  Any ideas as to the type of cheese/application which these cultures are good for.
Thanks

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Danisco's Choozit MA 14 LYO & MD 89 LYO - Uses?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
I think I tried the MD 89 with somthing for Havarti or edam, but I prefer the MM100. It has a slight buttery flavor. I think I read it can be use for camembert/brie types as well.

If I remember right I think the MA 14 is similar to the MA 11 which is a great little culture ot have on hand for cheddar, colby, jacks etb.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »
Awesome, thank you very much.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
MD 89 is a mesophile but only contains diacetylactis, which is responsible for adding buttery flavour notes to cheese.  IIRC it is used in conjunction with other cultures to boost up the buttery 'hit' rather than used on its own.

MA 11, 14 and 19 are mesophiles and are 'phage variants' of each other.  The don't contain diacetylactis so maybe this is why you bought the MD89 - to add in with it.

Both of them together would give similar results to an MM or FD.

If any of this is incorrect or incomplete I hope some one will correct me.

NVD

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »
Thank you NVD, so if I were to make a Camembert style cheese, by using these two cultures together, I could avoid using MM100 for the main acidification agent, and Flora Danica for the butteriness which I usualy add to my Cam, and more or less achieve the same end result.  Would you have a reccomendation as to the proportions of use.  Thanks again.