Author Topic: Baby Swiss Rind  (Read 2536 times)

velward

Baby Swiss Rind
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
I cut open my first little baby swiss today because I didn't like the way the rind was developing, (and of course I couldn't wait to see if it had little holes, LOL) The rind is very oily and chewy. I let it air dry for 2 days, then put it in the cave at 52 degrees and 81-85% humidity for 5 days. It was supposed to come out to room temp to develop the "holes". There was no sign of swelling after 3 days so I cut it open. There were very small, unform round holes and the cheese tasted good, although I know it is too young to have developed much taste. Any suggestions on how to make the rind develop?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Baby Swiss Rind
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
Your lesson for today should be PATIENCE.  :) You are rushing things WAY too much and not giving the rind or the cheese the chance to develop properly.

The cheese should stay in the cool temp for 10 days or more to let the rind firm up slightly. A slightly oily rind is called sweating and is natural unless it's extreme. If your room is too hot it will sweat too much. You do not want a really hard rind with a Swiss or it will just crack. It takes several days at room temp for the swelling to be apparent.

Sounds like everything was working correctly until you cut it. What did you do with the cheese?

velward

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
I'm going to eat it. And you are right...I am a newbie and have no patience. I should have asked first.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:18:31 AM »
It took 3 weeks for 2 of my makes using propionibacteria to get it together at room temperature ~= 70F.

Sailor's right: patience is the key. 3 days...? Wow, it's not like lighting a fuse.  ;)

Even without the eye development for that style, wouldn't you want to wait for a minimum of 30 days to develop some flavor in any hard cheese? Just a thought....

You probably won't recognize it after a little aging. Changes in flavor and texture can be very dramatic.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:03:29 AM »
ROTFLMAO  ;) ;D :o ::)

We ALL have trouble waiting on our cheeses to develop. But 10 days is probably a record for a hard cheese. The trick is to make LOTS of cheeses so you have a supply aging all the time.

If you can, vacuum bag the cut cheese and put it back in your cave. It won't develop eyes, but you will be surprised how the flavor develops after 90 days or so.

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:13:32 AM »
Velward, you are a cheesemaker after my own heart. Its just too hard to wait. :)

velward

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »
I am laughing at myself too. I'm just so excited to be making cheese. OK, I'm going to vac bag it and sit on my hands so I won't do it to the other 4 I have waiting. I'll have to make do with the white goat cheddar that is almost ready. Thanks guys. I think I might need counseling. ;D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
The best solution is to put your cheese cave somewhere where you don't see it too often. A basement, a garage, a closet, my house. ;)

Go to the store and buy the best Baby Swiss that you can find. Take it home, let a piece warm up to room temperature. Crack a bottle of wine with a significant other and indulge the evening away. Then say to yourself "that's what MY Baby Swiss could taste like if I don't cut it after 10 days"! ::)

Passion makes better cheesemakers. Patience makes better cheese.

velward

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:49:15 PM »
That's a great idea, although my significant others are 10 and 18  so they will have to have grape juice. LOL
Today I acquired two more used refrigerators to turn into cheese caves. I can see this as becoming an addiction, if I can just find that P thing.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
Oooooh.... Velward has the bug already. Not one, but TWO new caves.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 06:37:47 AM »
Oh yeah, the bug has definitely grabbed her!  ;D  Alright!!

Good on you, velward.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.