Author Topic: Smoking Cheese & BBQ Presentation @ Canada Niagara Falls Food Festival  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Email and pictures below set in by reg . . .

Morning CH. Sorry I have not been around much but just so busy at work lately, lot of things going on.

Attached are a few photos of a BBQ demo we did on Sunday at the Niagara Food Festival. One in particular is a photo of cold smoking cheese in a cardboard box that I thought the folks on the Cheese Forum might be interested in. Unfortunately the photo does not show the complete setup but I will try to explain as best as possible. Behind and below the smoker box is a hose connected to another box on the ground that has a hot plate in it. The wood chips are placed right on the hot plate. The smoke travels through the hose up to the top box with the cheese in it. The small amount of heat generated by the hot plate is dissipated as it travels up the hose to the smoker box.

OK off to the cheese forum!

reg

Cheese Head

Re: Smoking Cheese & BBQ Presentation @ Canada Niagara Falls Food Festival
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:07:08 AM »
Reg, that's bet it tastes great!

Very very simple design, is that you in one of the pictures?

reg

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »
yes CH very simple setup that anyone can do and it produces some great product. for the show we used some store bought cheddar that was smoked with cherry wood chips and it sure was a crowd pleaser i can tell you. during the Q&A session there were many questions being asked about smoked cheese.

yes that is me in photo two holding the mike and in photo three cutting the cheese :-)

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
Hi now we finally see the famous reg!

Question, wood chips are commonly available, where do you buy a "hot plate" or is this just a standard kitchen appliance, sorry for dumb question.

reg

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »
morning CH. you should be able to find a hot plate at just about any hardware store. i purchased mine at a Canadian Tire store. think it was $14.95

reg

Tea

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »
So we finally get to meet the "infamous" Reg.  Great to have a face to the name, by the way.
Many thanks for the smoker info, my son-in-law is in the process of setting up a smoker, so I will pass all this information on to him.
Would have love to have tried some of the cheese.  Great to hear that you had favourable feed back.  Makes all the effort worth it.