Author Topic: Cream - How Long Keep & Freezing?  (Read 1782 times)

Tobemeghan

Cream - How Long Keep & Freezing?
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
Hello all!
I don't have a cream separator but have been dipping the cream off of my Dexters milk and putting it in the fridge. I hope to get enough to make sour cream but it is a slow process. My question is how long will the cream keep in the fridge? Also, what else can I do with cream besides make butter and sour cream?

Thanks!

FarmerJd

Re: Cream - How Long Keep & Freezing?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »
The cream will keep at least a week if very cold. I have had it last much longer.
By the way, what is your experience with the dexter? I was considering buying one for a beef/dairy hybrid. Ive heard the meat is very marbled and they fatten fast. Any opinion?

Tobemeghan

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:41:30 AM »
The cream will keep at least a week if very cold. I have had it last much longer.
By the way, what is your experience with the dexter? I was considering buying one for a beef/dairy hybrid. Ive heard the meat is very marbled and they fatten fast. Any opinion?

Hello!
I have two Dexter cows and a heifer (and bull calf but not keeping him) and really like them! They are smaller than other breeds and so much more easier to handle and don't take up as much land. Their milk is very rich with a nice taste. I can't tell you much about the meat side of things, we're all vegetarians here. You can try this forum though http://dextercattle.proboards.com/index.cgi they are very knowledgeable about Dexters.

Good luck!

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
Thanks!

Oberhasli

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:26:15 AM »
I used to skim the cream off of my goat's milk and freeze it until I had enough to make butter.  I would defrost it and it would make really nice butter.   Maybe you could try that.   But, when I started making cheese I quit skimming the cream because I figured I needed the fat for my cheese.

Bonnie

Tobemeghan

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
I used to skim the cream off of my goat's milk and freeze it until I had enough to make butter.  I would defrost it and it would make really nice butter.   Maybe you could try that.   But, when I started making cheese I quit skimming the cream because I figured I needed the fat for my cheese.

Bonnie

Thanks! I was actually just coming here to see if I could freeze cream or not!

BTW the higher protein diet is helping the goat a lot and she has upped her production by a quart!

Thanks for everything!
Tobey