Author Topic: Hello from Monterey County, CA  (Read 860 times)

Offline Pev

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Hello from Monterey County, CA
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »
Just wanted to check in.  Didn't really check the other intro's yet for formatting, but I'm a wine maker from Monterey County who is looking to incorporate cheese making into my skill sets.

I've done some trial runs in which I aged several cheeses in my home refrigerator.  Unfortunately, it was before I had researched enough to find out that I was doomed to have the cheeses dry out without certain conditions.  Yesterday, I picked up a refrigerator to modify with a JC Thermostat - which to you is probably standard - but new and exciting to me. 

I've been wondering, though.  I have a small 4" press that can accommodate a couple gallons, but I ordered a mold with a lid.  How am I suppose to put the appropriate weight distributed evenly?  Any ideas?  I'll also be searching through the forums myself for similar inquiries.

Nice to be here.

Brian Peverini

Offline MarkShelton

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Aspiring vinter, hobby cheesemaker
Re: Hello from Monterey County, CA
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:15:20 PM »
Welcome Brian!
I have a passion for winemaking also, though your geography is much better than mine here in Illinois. Someday I hope to move out to winemaking country.

A dedicated fridge that is controlled to the proper temperature is definitely a plus, and will do wonders for aging your cheeses, as well as keep the aromas of ripening cheese (they can be pretty strong sometimes) out of your regular groceries.

I don't know if I understand your dilemma with the new mold. I guess if I knew what kind of press you were using, it would help. I have a spring press that works pretty well for me for now, and it came with some plastic blocks to help distribute the pressure while pressing. The lid that came with the mold should help with that also.
I am constantly in awe of the very first people that consumed these things, despite how funky looking and smelling they had become.

Offline John (CH)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 61
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:10:11 AM »
Hi Pev, welcome.

I originally had this analog external thermost, and now have this digital one.

Most round hoops for pressed cheese have a follower, a round disk, for your pressed cheese mold the lid should be made sturdy enough to evenly distribute the weight, if not then you will need some sort of disk to help distribute the load.

Offline Tropit

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:02:52 AM »
Hi Brian,

Welcome!  I'm from SB county, just to the south of you.
~Cindy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 97
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
Welcome Brian! If you have a rigid follower it will distribute the pressure fairly evenly if the pludger is in the center.

Offline FarmerJD

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 34
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:54:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  :)

Offline Pev

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications. Definitely glad to meet some people with similar interests.