Author Topic: Making Mozz with Skim Milk?  (Read 3042 times)

doni49

Making Mozz with Skim Milk?
« on: October 10, 2008, 02:58:04 AM »
Can someone offer advice on making mozz with skim milk?  I'd like to make my own mozz--but I need to keep it low to no fat if possible.  If I use skim, should I do something different with other ingredients?

Also, I was looking at liquid rennet (that's what the recipe I was looking at calls for).  There is veg rennet and animal rennet.  What's the diff?

Thx!

Tea

Re: Making Mozz with Skim Milk?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:29:27 AM »
Hi Doni and welcome to the forum.  Personally I haven't tried making mozz with skim milk, but I think the addition of calcium would definitely help with curd formation.
What ever rennet you use, just use as directed on the packet.  Cheese Head has an analyse/explaination of liquid rennet somewhere on the board, and from what I can remember, it is a man made rennet originating from animal rennet.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding.

Having said all that, I can only get liquid rennet here, so that is all I use, and I am happy with the results.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »
Morning doni49 and welcome to the forum (& the global stock market meltdown :().

I've built a rough page here on rennet that describes the difference.

Sorry but my only try at Mozz was a failure and I'm not a big Mozz fan so haven't yet tried again.

Again welcome and let us know how it turns out . . .

doni49

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:00:06 PM »
Hi Doni and welcome to the forum.  Personally I haven't tried making mozz with skim milk, but I think the addition of calcium would definitely help with curd formation.
Do you mean to add calcium supplements (pills)?

Thanks!

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »
doni49

Not calcium pills but Calcium Chloride which helps coagulation when using pasteurized milk. I built a rough info page on it here and there is a discussion here.