Author Topic: Cheddar Making Recipe Recommendation?  (Read 1829 times)

andymick01

Cheddar Making Recipe Recommendation?
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:39:47 PM »
Does anybody have a good recipe for Cheddar cheese, I am also struggling to work out how much mesophilic starter to use?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Cheddar Making Recipe Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
There is a recipe section here

andymick01

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:33:16 PM »
Thanks, only the recipe in this section does not tell you the measure for culture or rennet.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:53:19 AM »
Try searching the forum for cheddar recipes or looking in the cheddar threads on the forum page. I know I posted a couple of my makes there. You can also try Peter Dixon's site. Here is one Wayne did with lots of details as always. Here is one by Dave. Here is one of my more recent ones. These are large makes but I think you can easily figure the appropriate amounts. Mine is a milled curd cheddar recipe where Wayne's is a stirred curd cheddar recipe. For smaller recipes I would definitely do a stirred curd. I hope that helps. Good luck.

mcfly

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
I bought this book a while back and I find it great to work from and covers a great deal of cheeses. Its nice to work from a book as you don't need to keep going online every time you want to reference a particular cheese... I guess that's where a printer comes in handy!

Hope this helped!