Author Topic: Hello from the Arkansas Ozarks!  (Read 2098 times)

Ozark Lady

Hello from the Arkansas Ozarks!
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:51 PM »
I guess you can tell by my name that I live in the Ozarks!
My real name is MaryAnn, I don't mind my real name or user name, some call me Ozark some O.L.  Works for me.  I am not fond of being called Mary.

I am interested in learning more in depth cheesemaking.
I am also working to learn more about my garden, and what I can grow here.
I live in NW Arkansas and am about to begin experimenting with: Year round gardening, growing grains, and in general being as self sufficient as possible.  I am also interested in healthy living and learning the healthiest ways to do things.  I am even learning about wine making, mostly for the health benefits, and I do use it in cooking.

I raise dairy goats, and enjoy them immensely.  I have free range chickens, ducks and geese.  I bet you can tell that I am rural.

I like to swim, hunt, fish, all kinds of outside activities, cook, sew, read, and do crafts.
My husband and I just celebrated our 34th anniversary, so yep, I am a grandma, many times over.

Groves

Re: Hello from the Arkansas Ozarks!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:41:43 PM »
Welcome to the board!

I'm not far from you, here in Springfield, MO.

I envy your ruralness, our fair city is still twiddling it's thumbs deciding about (legally) keeping chickens in town.

What kinds of cheeses are you hoping to make?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:47:44 PM »
Welcome, MaryAnn!  You've come to the right place.

Use the "search" function to find a lot of answers. Just dig in and explore a bit. Otherwise, ask questions...there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here who can help you out.

Not too long ago, my wife and I had a home in Mountain Home which sits between two huge lakes. We've since relocated back to the Pacific Northwest where the climate is more to our liking (less humidity, ticks, snakes, hellacious thunderstorms, etc.  ;) ) The things we missed there were the kind and gentle people and the relative quiet.

Look forward to hearing more from you, OL.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Ozark Lady

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »
My two youngest sons were born in Mountain Home, and I graduated from a neighboring town to Mountain Home, so yep I know the area of Baxter county.

When we lived in Mountain Home, we went to Springfield Mo to shop once a month.
There was just so much more selection there than in Mountain Home at that time.
The last time I saw Mountain Home it had really grown in the 18 years since we last lived there!

Thanks for the welcome... I have a book on order, just got notified that it shipped today, so I am excited... a book on cheesemaking and a forum...wow.

I have made the simple cheeses not the cultured or aged ones... time for step two... once I review step one, since it has been a few years.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:49:41 AM »
Hi Ozark Lady and welcome, sounds like you are already getting settled in here, tonnes of info, you could spend weeks just reading, have fun with your cheese making hobby, unless you have several goats in which case lots of cheese!

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:16:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum. We have lots in common. Glad to have you aboard.

Ozark Lady

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:07:09 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, I can see there is just a whole new world of information, right here at my fingertips and world class cheese connisseurs (sp?).

I am really concerned about one thing and would like some feed back from folks who really know cheese.

I mentioned that I like to bake bread, and I was informed elsewhere that you must have a designated cheese room and never contaminate it with bread making.
I can't afford another kitchen!  Now, I am not in a panic, I know I can make soft cheeses etc, and not have issues from the yeasts floating around.

And it isn't terribly likely that I would make both a hard cheese and bake bread on the same day.  I can scrub counters etc.  But, yeast particles are in the very air, particularly if you are baking bread, is there a best way of dealing with this, short of a separate kitchen for cheese making?  I would really hate to think that some folks believe that you can't do both!  And then if I add making wine, more yeast... oh wow, I can really be in trouble.  Did I mention that I can produce, and there is wild yeast on the fruits!
Every direction is yeast, and more yeast.  How does one deal with it short of a separate cheese building, and sterile clothing and covering your hair and looking like a hazmat crew while making cheese?  Surely it isn't that extreme or is it?
Can I simply keep everything well covered and keep yeasts out?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:50 AM »
Wow, you're up late tonight!  Looks like you're catching the cheesemaking bug.  ;)

Quite a few folks here successfully combine cheesemaking and baking in the same kitchen. I'm not entirely certain the winemakers use their kitchens, but most probably do. I think you've pretty much nailed it. Don't do both at the same time. And try to limit access to the kitchen while you're "in progress". That includes stirring up dust and the like (laundry, dogs & cats, open windows, etc.)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:14 AM »
I bake bread, brew beer and make cheese and they don't seem to effect one another because they all have their own ripening areas. I wouldn't worry.

littlemilkqueen

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »
Hi! I am new too, just joined today. I used to live in Thayer MO about 25 years ago! I have dairy goats too.

Kandrews

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 04:15:11 AM »
I miss NW Arkansas! Lived there in the early 90's. My grandparents were from Branson, MO (Loooonnnggg before it is what it is now!) and my boyfriend (from CA) at the time had relatives in Hindsville. We lived in Fayetteville for 2 years and I miss it terribly!! Although I hear it has changed a lot.

Welcome!!! I'm new here too and I am also a big bread baker. I can't comment on the cross contamination other then to say that I love that they all are alive! Cheese, bread and wine or beer!!