Author Topic: Please can someone help?  (Read 2138 times)

SANDQ

Please can someone help?
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:15:18 AM »
Ive not posted for a couple of months, and had no replies to my last post. Please can someone help me to answer my question?
I make a goats  milk cheddar , but no matter how gentle I am with the curd I am ending up with a milky yellow whey. I have learned here that this is the fat particles bleeding out, and now I am starting to eat the cheese, I find that it does not melt, due to the fact that most of the fat content has been lost.
Is there any way I stop this happening?     thanks Q

linuxboy

Re: Please can someone help?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »
Does the curd shatter or does it hold its shape? How strong is the curd?

With fat loss, the issue is that the curd is not strong enough. Many possibilities to fix this. What rennet do you use?

SANDQ

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »
The curd holds its shape quite nicely and forms nice squeeky curd when cooked, but as soon as I cut into it no matter how gentle I am the whey goes from yellow to milky yellow.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:12:08 PM »
Hmm, what kind of rennet are you using?

SANDQ

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:20:19 PM »
Sorry forgot to answer your second question, the rennet is a brand I get in my supermarket here in Bulgaria which says only for use in making soft and hard cheese. Add 3-6 drops to 1L milk at 35 C. I add 30 drops to 10L raw goat milk and get around a 15 minute flocculation, if not a little sooner. I tried adding ca Cl2  to get a firmer set which I did, but the milk was set when I came back to it after 8 minutes of adding the rennet and cacl2

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »
It could be you are not bleeding out fats and it is just the milk you are using. Is it actually milky or just yellow? I know you said milky but my whey is always yellowish if I used raw milk not the greenish I see here quite often. I read somewhere the difference in grasses can cause this.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Melting and fat content are different. You can have nonfat cheese melt if the pH and protein degradation are right.

What's your yield? Like Debi, I've had whey come out not clear/green when using raw milk.

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:09 AM »
I have not been able to make a goat cheddar that melts well.  It just gets soft when heated.

SANDQ

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. The best way to descibe my whey is like this. I have made soft cheese for a year and that whey is always a clear yellow whey, like looking through a bottle fo white wine. My ceddars whey is exactly the same as that untill I cut it . Then the whey changes from lets say a clear white wine to a cloudy white wine. I am now in contact with the local Danisco supplier and a thinking of changing my rennet supply has anyone got any advice on what they think of that?   Thanks    Q

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »
Absolutely, rennet selection can influence fines and solids in whey. You said local brand, so I have no clue what kind of rennet is actually is or who makes it.  Try a calf rennet and see if it makes a difference.

SANDQ

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »
I too have no idea what type of rennet Im using, my Danisco stockist has natural and microbial rennets, Carlina is the animal one from what I can tell from their site but they are talking about defined strength chymosin/and or pepsin coagulants. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated     Thanks    Q

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »
Have you read my article on coagulants?

http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73

defined strength chymosin sounds like FPC, could be animal.