Author Topic: Stilton - Blue & Orange Mold!  (Read 3136 times)

mcfly

Stilton - Blue & Orange Mold!
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
Hey all
I made my first stilton this month and was wondering if orange mould was usual? I have a feeling that there may have been some cross contaminated with my limburger that contains B-Liners? I also noticed some white mould that also may have come from the penicillin candidum in my crottins? Also, my crottins now have dark patches all over them, maybe this is the roquefort from the Stilton?

If the cheeses are not covered does this mean that the bacteria will jump from one cheese to another even if they are on another shelf? Should I keep all the cheeses in a plastic tupperware container to stop contamination?

The Stilton tastes fine.. Is it safe??

Any help much appreciated! :-\

Brie

Re: Stilton - Blue & Orange Mold!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »
Yes, best to keep them all in tupperware containers--blue mold spreads very easily. It looks as though your crottin has either acquired some of the blues or--even worse--black mold. Better brush that off and wipe with salt water to save. Make certain to keep some moisture in your tupperware containers to achieve the desired humidity. Cheese on, my friend.

mcfly

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Thanks!
So black mould is bad mould? If the crottin had blue mould then I guess it's from the stilton's roquefort but where is the black from? Its teh first time this has happened  :(

I gave the crottin a good scrub this morning, most of it came off so is it going to be ok to eat?

Thanks again Brie ;)

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »
Hope the P. CAndidum grows back--the washing should help with eliminating the poil de chat (cat's hair aka black mold). Keep us posted!