Author Topic: Howdy from Central Texas!  (Read 1458 times)

sandhollerfarm

Howdy from Central Texas!
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »
Hello all, my name is Marissa and I'm excited to discover this forum!  I've struggled with a few cheese issues and haven't had much luck troubleshooting on other forums that have cheese making subsections.

I've made paneer since I was a kid (Indian neighbor growing up) but I guess I never realized normal everyday people could make "real" cheese!  A few years ago my family got together and started a farm including a small dairy goat herd so we had to figure out something to do with all that milk.  I took 2 classes at Homestead Heritage which I highly recommend for any beginners that live in the area.  It's the same place that makes Brazos Valley cheese if you've ever had that.  I started out with their book and have gone from there.

I have "mastered" feta, chevre, queso fresco and quick mozzarella.  I've made cheddar, colby, brick, manchego, gouda, romano and edam - and considered them all edible.  My cheese cave needs some serious reworking before I will ever get a good aged cheese.

And we are going down the route of becoming a grade A 'Raw for Retail' dairy so we can sell raw milk and cheese.  I'm working on some new ideas for cheeses that will be unique in my area (there's a goat dairy not too far that makes incredible mold ripened cheese).  Hopefully I can get some tips and ideas here!

FarmerJd

Re: Howdy from Central Texas!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:15:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are off to a great start. I look forward to your input. :)

Gina

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum. You will find it to be a great source of information. :)

sandhollerfarm

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I think I've made up my mind.  It came to me in a dream last night (I think I had too much cheese for dinner).  Blue cheese.  None of the goat dairies that sell in stores anywhere around here have a blue goat cheese.   The cheese shop in town has a goat/cow blue and it's AWESOME but no 100% goat.  I think I may have found a good niche...

EDIT:  Oh crud, just saw that the big dairy does make blue...I just haven't had it!  grumble
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:12:16 PM by SandHollerFarm »

9mmruger

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »
Welcome, you will learn a lot here as I certainly am.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »
Hi Marissa, welcome, great to have you here, tones of good people and ideas, looking forward to your posts!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:52:02 AM »
Welcome Marissa. Wonderful forum here with tons of info and knowledgeable people.