Author Topic: 6" Stainless Hoop  (Read 1809 times)

EPCream

6" Stainless Hoop
« on: July 23, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »
About a month ago I started searching for a 6" hoop to step up my batches of hard cheese from 2# wheels to ~4# wheels,  Not finding anything I liked I ended up making one and it works great, basically a copy of what is on Rikki Carrol's site, 6"x7" with holes, 16Ga stainless.  Long story short it was pretty easy and WAY cheaper than the $65 they sell for elsewhere.

My question is how much would you pay for one? If I tossed them on eBay at $45 apiece with a 1/2" white HDPE follower included would people be interested? Is that still too much?

Groves

Re: 6" Stainless Hoop
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »
link?

Did you use stovepipe? Weld it up yourself?

EPCream

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »
ill snap a photo when im at home, Im a product designer who works above a full machine shop, 16Ga flat stainless sheet (304 #2b) punched holes then rolled and welded the seam, has a smooth mill finish. I just stuck the follower on the end of a sheet of hdpe getting waterjet'd which we are cutting litterally tons of.  This one I did the work and welded it myself...if I was to make more I'd probably just pay one of our welders in beer and have them do it .

MarkShelton

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »
I'd be very interested! I'd like to see some pictures, and I'd like to know if you could make different sizes too. I've been searching for a 6.5 - 7" round that is 8 - 9"tall. I thought about making my own too, but I have no access to materials or machinery, and I have no know-how on fabrication, so that idea didn't go far.