Author Topic: Fourme d'Ambert  (Read 10998 times)

Gina

Re: Fourme d'Ambert
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »
You know how published cheese recipes and traditions are - extremely variable. ;)

Before I made this cheese I read as much as I could and most of the descriptions/videos didnt mention adding wine so I never considered doing it. If you like wine flavor in your blue cheeses, Fourme d'Ambert might be a good one to inject since it is considered one of the mildest of the blues. :)

I'm getting closer to opening this one. Maybe this weekend. If it's too mild, I probably will open that bottle of wine.... for the cheesemaker.  :P

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 12:58:23 AM »
I am sure it's going to be delicious either way!! I can't wait to hear how it turned out! (Especially since I'm thinking of making this cheese too!) Keep us updated!  :D

mikeamor

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
Cut into my first blue yesterday!
Done in the style of a Fourme d'Ambert.
Lovely texture, a bit creamy with a nice tang.
Need to work on the piercing to get better internal marbling though.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »
Well done, Mike!!
 Glad to hear it's so tasty! Nice Job!
~Cheers

9mmruger

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »
Looks very good Gina.  Congrats.  How long was it aged?

Gina

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 03:47:59 PM »
I made my Fd'A on July 10, so it's just about 2 mos. old. I decided to let it go a bit longer in part because we were eating other blues, but any day now...

MikeA - For a first blue, that sounds very nice. It has an interesting profile. :)

Gina

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:28 PM »
I opened my Fd'A. It's got nice fine viens, but the flavor is just OK. I do prefer other blues I've made much more than this, so I doubt I will make another. Live and learn. :)

Sorry, no picture.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
I cut a 10 month old FdA for a tasting on Monday. Two of the tasters (restaurant people) said it was the best thing they had ever tasted. It was as creamy as the Stiltons but not as crumbly because of a higher pH at hooping. A little milder blue flavor than the Stiltons but a really complex, aged flavor. Unfortunately, it's the only one I have. Didn't mean to age it 10 months, but I do have extraordinary patience "sometimes". - Shhhh... Don't tell Nancy. :o

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 01:29:17 AM »
Shhhh... Don't tell Nancy. :o

Sounds like she wouldn't agree with you there. LOL

akrahnert

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »
Hello,

Very new to cheese making, especially this forum, but I have an affinity for blue cheese.
Nice looking Fourme d'Ambert Gina! I would like to try an make one myself as my first cheese.

Just two questions;

What amount of weight did you use for the light pressing stage, and what size and type of mold was used?

Thank you for your help.

dttorun

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
Fourme d'Ambert (which is apparently identicle with F.d'Montbrison)

4 Gal whole milk
1/2 tsp meso
1/8 tsp Pen. roq. spores
1/2 tsp CaCl2
1/2 tsp rennet

Heat milk to 90*F, add mold, meso, and stir. Add CaCl and stir. Add rennet. Let stand for 90 minutes maintaining temp.
When clean break, cut curd 1/2 inch. Let stand 5 min.
Stir gently, constantly for 60 min at 90*F till curds become small and firm. Let settle.
Remove whey till you see top of curds. Ladle curds into mold.
Press lightly for 1 hr. Redress and press at light pressure for another 6-7 hours.
Brine for 12 hrs, turning at 6 hrs.
Dry for two days at room temp, then pierce. Place in ripening container at 50*F
Turn daily, removing any whey.
Moldy crust will appear in about 2 wks. Continue to ripen for 1 month, then the cheese will be ready.
Wrap and store in frig for 2-3 months.

:)

Cookipedia states that a sweet wine is injected to this cheese during 28 days maturing period. It would be nice to try as I have a bottle of ice wine.
Tan

http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Fourme_d%27Ambert_cheese

Brie

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:38 AM »
Okay--I'm going with the original version and injecting with Vouvrey. I aged it first for 6 weeks, and began injecting today. Darn, the wine came out of the holes I had punched for the blue veins! No matter, I'll soldier on. Results will follow in another month.

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »
Brie, I have a Fourme d'Ambert that is about 1-2 weeks old. I too was considering the Vouvrey but wasn't sure if it was to be soaked, washed, or injected.  As for the built in drainage system, I'm laughing with you not at you.  ;)

Let me know if you figure out a technique that works. I'll try it out in a few weeks.

Brie

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »
Perhaps that's what it's all about--just give it a "shower". I'll keep you updated.

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Brie,

I procured a sparkling version of Vouvray. Since I'm still experimenting I cut mine in half so I could wash one half with vouvray and leave the other half natural. I was shocked to see the inside was still white. Apparently the holes I punched (with a medium size knitting needle) almost completely sealed themselves back in so I punched more holes. The outside was looking good though.

As for applying the champagne, I quickly discovered that the blue mold creates a water proofing of sorts. When I poured over the white side (formerly the middle) it would stick around but on the blue outside it just slide right off and the cheese was completely dry. So I made tiny scores all over the top with a knife and then the liquid would grab on.

How is the injecting coming along?