Author Topic: Cabre al Vino Chese Making - Advice?  (Read 4873 times)

Mondequay

Cabre al Vino Chese Making - Advice?
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »
My son gave me a bottle of red wine he didn''t want and since I don't drink red I thought I'd make cheese! The recipe here (http://cheeseforum.org/Recipes/Recipe_Cabre_al_Vino.htm) does not indicate wrapping or waxing. Since I cannot get the humidity up I've been waxing all my cheeses. (And the look amazing!) Can I wax this one? Can I use paraffin so we can see the red color of the rind? Or does this cheese need to be left naked?
Christine

P.S. I LOVE this forum. It is such a nice break from the tech heads I usually talk to! Of course, I understand a little less here...

9mmruger

Re: Cabre al Vino Chese Making - Advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
Did you add the salt in the recipe?  It needs the salt.  If you did, waxing should be fine.  I don't think you should use paraffin as it will crack.  You could use some of the clear cream wax that you apply by hand.  Margaret Morris speaks very highly of it.

Mondequay

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Mr. Kim. I haven't made the cheese yet but will absolutely use the salt. I couldn't find an ingredient list for the cream wax. Is there any possibility of finding clear cheese wax?

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:18 AM »
I have made this cheese several times and find that goat cheeses age much sooner that cow's milk cheese. I have aged this cheese for minimum of 5 weeks and maximum 3 months and have found (without waxing), it is wonderful at 2 months, with aging at 53 degrees and 80% humidity. If you do wax, make certain that the cheese is quite dry.

9mmruger

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:22:07 PM »
I just received my clear cream wax from The CheeseMaker.com yesterday.  I tried it out on my cheddar last night and seemed to work great.  Some say to use a brush to put it on, but I used my fingers, (followed the example from Margaret Morris's video).  That will keep it sealed until I dip wax it in the future.

Mondequay

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »
Brie, I have to admit that natural rinds make me nervous but I think this one might help me over the hump. I am ready to make this cheese! I don't think I want to wax this one unless I find clear wax.

Mr. Kim -  any chance there is an ingredient list on the cream package? Is Margaret Morris' video available online or is it a dvd?

9mmruger

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
Mondequay, regretfully there is no ingredient list.  You can Google it though and find out what you need to know.  The video is a DVD and runs about $25.00 USD.

Mondequay

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Her book on Amazon is $85!

9mmruger

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »
That's too expensive for me.  I'd rather buy a Kadova mold for that much money.  The video is good though.  She makes 4 different cheeses on it.

Brie

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
cheesemaking.com sells clear cheese wax. Many members here are vac-packing cheese with Foodsavers or similar equipment. I would recommend this as opposed to waxing the Cabre--it is really good to go at about 5 weeks, so if you want to age it further, wax or vac-pak then.

Mondequay

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 01:11:27 AM »
Thanks Brie, I think I will get a vacuum sealer.

cdonaghe

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »
Her book on Amazon is $85!

here is a link showing her book at $49.95 Canadian. Also her DVD for @39.95 Canadian. They are towards the bottom of the page...

Charles

cdonaghe

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »
Forgot the link.
Here it is:    http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/kitvideo.htm

Charles

Mondequay

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
Thanks for the link, Charles.

I looked at Foodsavers on Amazon and the reviews were pretty bad. Any suggestions of one with which people are having good luck?

cdonaghe

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
No idea, but you might check the library section on the forum under books. There are some good reviews and discussions about different books......

Charles