Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 1385 times)

Ben Ayres

Newbie here
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »
Hello All:
This is my first post. I have only tried cheese making twice (both mozzarella) and failed miserably both times). This time I thought that I would join a forum and see if the help of a "cheesy community" would help. I live in Canada and only have access to pasteurized milk (illegal to sell "fresh" milk here). If I can manage to make a simple mozzarella someday, I might move on to something more interesting; but since the basics seam to elude me, I will try once more to get it right. So far the recipes that I have used seam all similar, 1 gallon of milk to 1/2 tsp of citric acid; dissolve 1/4 rennet tablet (I use "Junket") in 1/4 cup of water; add to milk; bring to 88 degrees (Fahrenheit); allow to stand about 1/2 hour (until curds form)...here is the problem....curds never seam to form. I get some sort of separation but more like that of sour milk... I never get a firm break; just goop. I have tried letting it sit longer, I have tried increasing the rennet tablet to a full tablet....nothing; just goo.
   Anyhow; as I've said , I'll keep trying and read through some of the posts here to see what I can glean from the font of knowledge that seems to be available here.
  Wish me luck!

Ben

Ben Ayres

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
See....I'm already learning something. I guess that I may have to try some CaCl2 or using some yogurt as a starter. Who knew?

Ben

Mondequay

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
I also have had trouble with mozzarella. Just one out of five attempts was successful! I decided to move on to colby, manchego and gouda and am having much better results. Today a farmhouse cheddar.

It appears in your post that you are adding the rennet then heating. That seems backwards.

sandhollerfarm

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi Ben!  We may be long lost relatives.  My family name is 'Eyres' and many of the clan still live in Lindsay ON.  There were a few branches that broke off the family tree that spelled the name either Eyers or Ayres.  We might be 10th cousins or something!  :)

I actually think the quick mozzarella is not the most basic recipe to start off with!  "Ultra-pasteurized" milk is also always going to lead to disappointment.  Be sure you don't get that!  And I've heard bad stuff about Junket but then I see people using it.  So no real experience there.

Good luck!

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:23:33 AM »
Hi Ben, welcome!

Moz is in no way a simple cheese, lots of problem posts in Pasta Filata Board, have fun!

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:27:16 AM »
Welcome Ben. There are several ways to make mozzarella and it is difficult for many. Patience is the key - don't rush it.