Author Topic: Marking Pen for cheese?  (Read 7419 times)

Groves

Marking Pen for cheese?
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I thought for sure I had seen it in the archives, but I can't find it now.

How do you folks mark cheeses that aren't waxed or vacuum sealed?

Chris K

Re: Marking Pen for cheese?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »
For commercial or personal use? FOr commercial, and I'm just learning but around my area I am finding that food inspectors don't want anything touching the cheese that might be consumed. This includes residue from any sticky label and, I'd guess, inks, edible or otherwise.

Groves

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:53 PM »
Good thoughts on the commercial aspect. I'm thinking personal use. Is adhesive labels the way to go then?

tasteofcheese

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
If you get some cheese-wrapping paper (sort of like wax paper with a thin layer of plastic on one side) you could wrap the cheese and keep it closed with an adhesive label with the name. Then you don't have to mark right on the cheese.

Red Dragon

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »
I used a clean small paint brush and food coloring. Even after oil treatments of my rind ripened cheese, the writing still doesnt smear.

steampwr8

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
I have these and they work okay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Americolor-Gourmet-Writer-Food-Decorating-Pens-Black-/330456397387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf0bc764b

Ebay sellers have them in colors as well as black. They have a food coloring in them. The only thing I find bothersome is that the tip is more like a paintbrush or felt tip marker. It is kind of delicate.

cheezwhizz

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »

I use the sharp end of a bamboo skewer dipped in red food coloring. Acts like a quill pen... Just be sure to let the rind dry well before you do it. And then let the writing dry for a day or two before washing or oiling. works great for me.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
You can get thick plastic letters at Walmart, in the craft section.  Cut them out and line your molds with them, you can code them like A12, meaning August 12th, or something similar.  They are washable and reuseable.

zenith1

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:10 AM »
I also use a small artists paint brush and red food coloring.

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 04:29:26 AM »
3 methods:

1. Stamp: Use a large stamp to make indentation in the cheese when it is still draining or in press. This mark will remain on it. you just need to find good enough letters or marks/stamps. There have been a number of discussions here about it in the past. Door signage lettering from the hardware store works (just put some food grade Saran wrap over it)

2. Ash: Mix a bit of cheese ash (activated charcoal) with water. That makes black ink. Dip a brush and use it to write on the cheese. Ash is neutral and won't affect the cheese flavor or create any foreign mold.

3. Tag: If you have a tag or label made of cheese paper or plastic (food grade) that is already pre-printed or written on, just slap it on the fresh cheese (on the bottom of it when it drains or before it is pressed). They whey is like glue and it will stick. Make it small. You don't want it to cover a large area and prevent mold and rind growth. Here is a good example of traditional Reblochon cheese being tagged this way: