Author Topic: Waxing a cut Cheddar  (Read 2422 times)

ancksunamun

Waxing a cut Cheddar
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
I'm hoping for a definitive answer on this one. I have seen a reference in another thread but no solid 'expert' answers.

I have a Cheddar wheel that has been air dried for the past 6 days. I cut it into quarters as it was part of a batch I wasn't sure was successful (See my Odd, Foamy Curd thread) and I wanted to know what it was doing. I didn't see the point in waxing and aging if it was going to be awful.

Well it turns out it is ok. In fact it looks and smells great! So, the question is. Can I immediately wax and put in my cheese cave or should I air dry the quarters to get a rind on all sides. Or do I need to Brine and dry?

9mmruger

Re: Waxing a cut Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
I will be interested in the pro's answers here as well and I will need to eventually cut my wheel for waxing.  I have cream waxed it in it's entirety but when I have enough cheeses to warrant melting my cheese wax I will want to cut the wheels so that they fix into my wax pot.  I prefer to dip over brush.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
I have done both to wedges of cheddar.

I don't have a definitive answer.  But I would add that rind formation is key to maturing a cheese.
If you are waxing it to make it look nice to give to someone, then I would say wax immediately.

however

If you are waxing it, in order to age it, then let the rind form.  Let it dry out, then wax it.

I can say this, of those cheeses I have successfully aged, all had good rinds.  The failed ones ALL had bad rind formation.

Groves

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »
Just a follow up question, Wayne.

Are you saying that rind formation is key to aging a cheddar even if you wax it after the rind has formed? Or is the unwaxed time that you're letting it form the key part?

ancksunamun

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:06:58 AM »
Thanks Wayne. I will let them air dry a bit to form a rind and then wax.

Wishing I hadn't been so sceptical but hoping I can still get a good wedge or two of cheddar.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
Just a follow up question, Wayne.

Are you saying that rind formation is key to aging a cheddar even if you wax it after the rind has formed? Or is the unwaxed time that you're letting it form the key part?

There are a number of 'keys' to aging cheese;
>Temperature
>Humidity
>Sanitation
>Rind Formation

A rind, whether natural, or artificial, is designed to provide a seal around the inside portion of the cheese.

In your case, if you coat your cheese in wax, you are using a combination of a natural and artificial rinds.  There is nothing wrong with that. The only reason I say wait for the cheese to dry first is that the wax will adhere better to a dry surface, and there is less chance of mould growing under the wax if the cheddar is dry.

However, if  your cheese is meant to be consumed soon, then wax can be used for aesthetic reasons on an otherwise rindless wheel or wedge of cheese.

My comment about rinds being essential refer to "closed" rinds.  All of my wheels of cheese that had open, (not solid" rinds ended up so moldy that they rotted.   There where too many nooks and crannies that simply could not be kept sanitary. A closed rind is smooth and easy to clean.  A closed rind is able to get hard and forms a darn near impervious barrier to the cheese.