Author Topic: New Tanks  (Read 12073 times)

wharris

New Tanks
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:51:53 PM »
My new wine tankes are in!!!!
I figured that if I'm not making cheese at the moment, I could at least post why......

Some of you may have seen my wine bottles in the background of my cheese making operations.  While the many bottles of wine may have their own aesthetic appeal, its been a real pain in the butt way to make wine. Just racking the wine off the sediment takes all afternoon.
So, I have been looking to upgrade from my 18 glass carboys (bottles) for a while now. After much thought, several discussions, and a couple changes of heart, I have settled on HDPE 'Flex Tanks'. I know, it's not stainless, but I had to make some tough choices. Trust me, I agonized over each of them.

What I bought:
(2) 80 gallon Dexter Flextanks.
- Each with the microsample tap,
- 1.5in tri-clamp draining/racking port.

Pictures below are of the tank, and some testing using water, of the racking ports, valves and tubes. 
Additionally, some of you may recognize my cheese helpers in the last picture.  What is realy funny is looking at those same kids in the gallery. My how they have grown.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:04:19 PM by Wayne Harris »

linuxboy

Re: New Tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
Wayne, I hear those those work extremely well. Buddy of mine uses them, and I tried last year's chard and riesling and was favorably impressed. He loves his.

Way cool. Here's to bigger batches! Cheers :)

wharris

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
Here is that valve explained....

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »
Wayne - NICE setup. That's a great looking pump. The head looks stainless. I am looking for something food grade like that to transfer whey. Where did you get that one?

wharris

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
Thanks.
The pump came from St. Pats of Texas.
Jet05 Centrifugal Pump
Its really powerfull and will move a lot of liquid.  Its food grade, serviceble, and uses an impeller.
I really like it.

coffee joe

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:33:57 PM »
Sailor,

I use a very similar pump for whey and I regret not spending a few extra bucks for one with a clamp on cover to get access to the impeller. Whey can be really sticky. After about 10 times cleaning, I already have a couple stripped screw holes, won't be long before I need to re-tap all the holes.
I have just ordered such a pump, fortunately it will fit the existing motor. As soon as it gets here I'll get pics up.
The clamp is very similar to the clamp on Wayne's very nice valve assembly, big enough to cover the Set screws on the pump pictured.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
So, Wayne, it looks like you are gearing up to open a wine and cheese shop?

All of what you do is way (whey?) above my head, but I love the spectrum of members on this forum!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
A small peristaltic pump would be perfect because there is no actual contact with the pump parts. So nothing except the tubing itself can clog.

wharris

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
I completely agree with you.  I would love to have one. 
However, that is no longer  "hobby" money for me.
Much bigger bucks than my little pump.

But oh my that would be nice.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »
There are a LOT of peristaltic pumps on eBay. Many of them are low volume dosing pumps for lab use. Some are larger but might not be as fast as yours. Would still get the job done if you are not in a hurry. I am most concerned about filtering out curds and clogging on the intake side.

wharris

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
So, Wayne, it looks like you are gearing up to open a wine and cheese shop?

All of what you do is way (whey?) above my head, but I love the spectrum of members on this forum!
When I retire, I may hang some kind of shingle out front.  Right now, I am just practicing.

FarmerJd

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:17 PM »
Congrats on your progress Wayne, but I must say that you really spoiled the "medieval" feel you had going in the dungeon.  ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 02:42:17 AM »
WOW! Wayne you never cease to amaze me. Looks like a great setup. I am sure you will enjoy it. Congrats!

wharris

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »
Thanks Deb,  but this, in part, explains why i have not made cheese in a helluva long time. (too darn long....)
Spending all my time and money really gearing up for this fall's crush. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 04:37:46 AM »
Well you will definately be all over it this year for the annual trec to the grapes. May be early this year with these cool nights. I think we will have an early frost this year.