Author Topic: New Tanks  (Read 12042 times)

wharris

Re: New Tanks
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 02:24:23 AM »
I am in the process of working with the reseller, Morewine..
They are doing what they can right now. I have no complaints with them...
Just an unfortunate situation.

wharris

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
Morewine has agreed to take this unit back.  But due the the looming crush dates, I am going to be forced to try and make this work this year, but they will take this back and give me full credit to another machine..  Bottom line is that I will need this to work.

Morewine deserves some credit for working with me on this.

linuxboy

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
Wayne, what if you:

1) Took off the cover and expose the gears to prevent them from being damaged from metal-metal scraping
2) cut or adjusted the paddles so they are not hitting the basket
3) Took out the rubber rollers and banged in those loose pieces of metal so they are not cutting into the rubber.

Maybe some of those would help. The paddle issue is rather serious, seems to be a poor fit from under or oversized parts. Maybe if you saw where it's hitting you could reshape the basket or reshape the paddles? On the rubber issue, maybe after the metal cuts into it, it will stop eating away at the rubber?

Bummer, hope you can get it resolved.

wharris

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »
I am leary about the running it with gears and chain drives exposed.  That is finger/hair/clothing level crocodile teeth that i'm afraind will bite someone.  If it were just me, I might, but crush day is kinda festive in the Harris garage, and as such, i will probably have neighbors and kids around.   Since the whole unit is going back, I'm not as concerned about damage to the unit.  Am a bit concerned about the power loss due to the rubbing.

I will be banging the on basket to stop the clanking.  There seems to be one paddle that sticks out more than others, I will see if I can use some wood and a mallet to "adjust" the basket.  or, i might get out the angle grinder to "adjust" the paddle.

The sheet metal has been pushed back from the rollers. and no longer rubs.  But as you can see the damage was done.  I will be cleaning up the scraps and pray the roller distance is right. (Actually, I may spend a bit of time making dang sure the roller distance is set right.)

I will be sending this unit back and getting the next version up.  Its a destemmer only.  Any thoughts on that model?

wharris

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
Update..
2010 on left, 2009 on right.

Both are Alexander Valley California Cabernet.

linuxboy

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
Wayne, that destemmer works pretty well, from what I have heard. Still not exactly large scale pro quality, but better. Vintage is looking great! How's the green wine?

wharris

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 03:38:26 AM »
The 2010 is great.  Coming along great. All numbers look good.
Bit concerned with the 2009 however. Its developed an off flavor. Concerned about acetobacter, or some other infection.  I may have lost the 2009.  Holding out hope. May send a sample to Scottlabs.

I turned that crusher in. I returned it.  I now have a new WE286 from MoreWine on order for 2011.

Tomer1

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 02:12:53 AM »
Concerned about acetobacter, or some other infection
What kind of off aromas?
Did you maintain proper free so2 levels?
Was the wine not toped up for an extended peried of time?

Acetobacter doesnt grow without oxygen and it tends to not like so2.
Brett however is resistant to everything,usually grows anerobicly and once the wine is infected its a goner,maximum legal does of so2 cant harm it.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »
I would send the sample off to Scott. At the worst, you'll find out what it is and then be able to detect it next time. And, at best, maybe it's fixable.
How does it taste?
Pam