Author Topic: Hello from AL  (Read 1353 times)

CarterFarm

Hello from AL
« on: August 02, 2010, 04:33:18 AM »
Hi.  My name is Andrew, 22 years old from south Alabama.  Got several chickens the other day, and I am currently looking for a milk cow right now.  I grew up milking with my dad, but now I'm wanting to start on my own with my own family.  I'm wanting to take it a step further than my dad did and get into cheesemaking as well.  I really enjoy doing things that our ancestors did, and getting back to the simpler life.  Plus, doing things like this with my child (one day children) will be remembered forever.

Hope to get to know a lot of y'all.  And open to any suggestions for someone who is starting off with no background with cheese.  Thanks.

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from AL
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:56:52 AM »
Hi Andrew, welcome!

There's a sticky post at the top of this board for people new to cheese making. A lot of it comes from just doing it, and as you can tell from this forum, cheese making is not as simple as the recipes or books show, you could start with something as simple as American Style Neufchatel/Light cream Cheese using store bought whole cow's milk and a piece of cheese cloth.

Also, you will want to size your equipment to your volume of milk.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Andrew. Glad you found it. We'll be comparing cheese makes before long. I am still looking for a cow for you. Don't buy rennet or cultures just yet as I have a fairly large supply you can share. BTW, I have got some store bought milk coming in a few days that you can practice on. Good luck. Tell the wife and kid I said hey.

Mondequay

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
Welcome Andrew! I love your philosophy and family value system; wish we could clone you! Jump right into cheese making and learn as you go. It seems that FarmerJd will be your mentor - good for you. I'm trying to find a mentor now but find most of the answers to my questions right here.  :)

9mmruger

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
Welcome aboard Andrew.  Cheese making is a fascinating hobby.  Very rewarding on the table too!  Look forward to seeing what you make and how it goes!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »
Way to go Andrew! I applaud you efforts and family values. Quite remarkable for one so young. Cheese can be a bit intimidaing at first much like anything else - but it doesn't have to be rocket science (although it is a science). Take it easy and read cafefully what you will be doing before you do it that will make it ever so much easier!

CarterFarm

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:22:28 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.  Been reading all the posts lately, and you guys are awesome.  Wondering what would be some good ideas on making my first cheese.  Looking into the Light Cream Cheese (thanks john).  Open to any suggestions.

billy10388

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 01:56:55 AM »

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.