Author Topic: Questions On PH and Cultures  (Read 8079 times)

linuxboy

Re: Questions On PH and Cultures
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
LOL. I was trying (and failing) to keep it simple, too. Not sure on the FD strains either. Might be that meso B has higher ratio of acidifying bacteria or maybe they have a different pH curve and drop faster. But I agree, for classic FD, it's really best for fresh cheese. Makes for a great chevre or similar lactic curd. I know in chr hansen's line, for example, their continental culture is lactis, cremoris, diacetylactis and leuconostoc, just like FD, but acid curve is way different and gas formation way different.

Yeah, I have mixed thoughts about Ricki. I think we both understand business necessities, and she's been around for so long and has helped so many people... it's amazing, really. But it's like the science has gone light years since the 1970s, and the exact help an industry person should provide should be useful and correct and complete. Heck even the last 10 years have made concepts in DVI technologies more refined, to the point where viability of reconstituted bacteria is nearly double what it used to be 10-15 years ago. Maybe that's why she has Jim on staff, and why he charges consulting fees. Nothing is free I suppose. Unless you're on cheeseforum :).

9mmruger

Re: Questions On PH and Cultures
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »
Believe me, I appreciate you both, all.  I do appreciate keeping it simple as well.  I will keep the use of the FD to the softer cheeses from here on in.  Thanks for the enlightenment.  Lots to learn.