Author Topic: What happens to the cheese when the temp goes to high?  (Read 1671 times)

advancewithcourage

What happens to the cheese when the temp goes to high?
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »
When you are holding the curd at a steady temp, what happens if the curd temp goes too high? Say by 10 degrees? My daughter put some bread in the oven and it heated up the surface of the stove and raised the heat in my insulated cheese pan too high. Wondering if I should just throw the cheese away, or go ahead and press it and just expect a different flaver? As you can tell, I am very new to cheesemaking.

Thanks!

Mondequay

Re: What happens to the cheese when the temp goes to high?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
I don't know the chemistry of what happens but I'd press it and cross my fingers. I'm sure you will end up with cheese and it may be great! There must be some leeway in temps but 10 degrees is a lot. Baking bread on cheese making day could be an issue though with all that yeast flying around. I always separate those hobbies to different days. What kind of cheese were you making? (And what kind of bread? - just curious!)

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »
What type of culture and what size curd?

Two possible outcomes are culture death and curd case hardening (uneven moisture loss in curd, harder on outside, softer on inside, leading to uneven moisture levels in cheese(

advancewithcourage

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
I used a mesophilic culture (buttermilk) to make cheddar. A friend has been making cheddar and Brick for a couple years and showed me her method. I use goat milk.

My daughter bakes delicious freshly ground wheat bread about once a week. I guess I should make sure we adjust our schedules to avoid bumping into each other in the kitchen.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »
I will still be eddible not to worry but migh be a bit chewyer and drier than you'd planned.