Author Topic: Blue Cheese dressing recipe?  (Read 4295 times)

Groves

Blue Cheese dressing recipe?
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
I find myself in the odd position of knowing how to make blue cheese and NOT knowing how to make blue cheese dressing?

It won't see a salad, though, only chicken wings!

Anyone with some tips?

Matthew

linuxboy

Re: Blue Cheese dressing recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:20 PM »
Make a regular buttermilk ranch recipe and add LOTS of blue cheese :). It's fantastic.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:25:53 AM »
Since I made my monster blue, I have been tinkering with the same question. I actually made a mayo base and tried several online recipes. Just couldn't make it work. Let me know if you find anything great.

Oberhasli

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »
I sometimes buy that monster bucket of blue cheese crumbles at Costco.  I make a dip/dressing my husband really likes.  I use mayonnaise and sour cream, chopped green onions, a dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce, and sometimes finely chopped cucumbers, all with a generous amount of blue cheese crumbles.  You can thin it down with some milk if it is too thick.  I don't usually measure but it is about 1 cup of mayo and 1 cup of sour cream.

Bonnie

Offline woodsman

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
I concur on a mayo/sour cream mix - that's my dressing base that I tweak with salt, sugar, lime juice and white vinegar depending on where I want to go with it. Everyone's taste is different though so if you find what you really like you better remember exactly what and how much you mixed in :)

Groves

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »
Great replies all!

Another related question. Do you all cut away the rind before serving an unwaxed, unfoilwrapped blue type of cheese? How about if using in a dip?

Offline woodsman

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
I'd cut it off as most unenlightened will be grossed out by it. Especially in a dressing or a dip. But then again if you put out an untrimmed chunk for show you might have some connoisseurs who will beg you to give them some more :)

9mmruger

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
I'd certainly want more!

coco

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »
Our family favorite:
In a blender add
about 4oz blue cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
2 tsp minced shallots
a few teaspoons of half /half or cream to thin it
and splash of bourbon

you can leave it creamy or add more blue cheese if you like it "chunky"

Tomer1

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
If you dont need a solid consistancy
An alternative to store or home made mayo is olive oil-yok combo,
Alot less fatty-oily yet its a very rich and creamy base.
I cant really give exact measurments but for your souce your looking at a vinegret style ratio of oil-acid component and for every portion of that add one yok.
Adding the cheese will firm it up.

ian_a

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
Hi,

My first post on this forum and it might actually be useful! I love buffalo wings and this is my recipe for a killer blue cheese sauce. Please try it and let me know how you get on...

Blue Cheese Sauce

2 tablespoons gorgonzola dolce
2 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 clove garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped chives for garnish

1. Cut the garlic in half and rub the cut side against the inside of a bowl. Discard the rest of the garlic;
2. Mash the cheese against the side of the bowl with a fork;
3. Mix in the sour cream and mayonnaise;
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste;
5. Transfer into serving bowl and garnish with chopped chives.

Any blue cheese will do but I love the creaminess of gorgonzola...

Edited for typo - should have been 3 tablespoons of mayo, not 2

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:31:00 PM by ian_a »

Corina

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 04:51:01 AM »
You can add some small chopped apples. Apples go perfectly with blue cheese.You cut one apple in small pieces, warm a small piece of butter in a pan and you put the apples in there for a few minutes, untill the water from the apple is gone, and they start frying.You add a teaspoon of brown sugar an let for another minute to caramelize them.Let them cool down and add them to the sauce.

You can also take a cutlet piece, or a piece of chicken breast two fingers thick, cut a slide as if you make a pocket inside it, like a closed envelope without cutting the sides completelly. Put salt and pepper on them.Mix the apples with one teaspoon of hot peppers pasta,small pieces of blue cheese and some chopped basil. Fill the pockets with the mixture, trying to stuff them well. Heat a spoon of butter in a pan well, then add the cutlets. Fry them one one side, then turn them carefully.If the filling starts running out, as the cheese melts, take a spoon and put it on the steacks, no fear. Do not let the cutlets be overdone.
Put them on a plate and sprinkle some chopped basil on them.